Is there a real mould-proof grout available?

Am intending to rip out the old grout in a shower and redo. I have heard that you can get grout that is mould proof. Someone suggested the stuff they use in swimming pools! Sounds unlikely to me! Any advice please?

Reply to
Mikeyboy

Mould is the product of poor ventilation. If you can improve the ventilation you won't have a problem with mould.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

He didn't say he had any, he was asking about products. Another classic example of answering a question you wanted someone to ask rather than the one that was asked.

Reply to
Dev

That's a bit stroppy.

I tend to agree with Peter Johnson - if you solve the cause of the mould you won't require to look for something that possibly will keep it at bay for only a little bit longer than bog standard grout.

Get one of these humidity sensitive extractor fans (quite cheap on Ebay) and your problem is solved. Swimming pools facilities are all washed down daily with anti-biotic preparations to keep the places clean from varuccas, etc so I wonder if they use anything special for the grout.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Bleach. Regular application of diluted bleach.

Keeps grout and silicone sealant looking brand new.

Apply gently with a plant mister set on a coarse spray. Don't breathe in. Leave until it looks white again. Rinse thoroughly with shower.

-- Steve F

Reply to
Fitz

Yes you can get epoxy based grouts which are recommended for use with power showers as immune to being washed away. Bit of a pain to work with as you have limited time to grout once mixed (hint weigh out say 1/4-1/2 kg at a time and corresponding amount of hardener) and also any left on tiles, bath, fixings, hands, faces etc bonds like sh*te (other hint epoxy remover is available as well and works well).

Found this one, but there are others.

have regrouted my current shower tiles using a epoxy based white grout, after the old grout stained (not so much mould but shampoo/soap, came away with steam cleaner). With the epoxy the staining has not returned.

Reply to
Ian_m

I used a waterproofing additive in the grout -- BAL Add-mix GT1, and that hasn't gone moldy in about 3 years since it was done.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel