Is there a modern alternative to Araldite?

That's why my last filling tasted of fish for three days!

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Has the formula changed over the years (possibly as various chemicals / substances have fallen foul of various laws)? I remember it being pretty good when I was a kid, but when I used some a few years ago (mixing carefully according to directions) it didn't seem nearly as strong. Maybe it was just the things I happened to be gluing, but it seemed consistently weak on all of them.

(I'm not sure it even exists on this side of the Atlantic)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

The make-or-break :-) factor with pretty much all adhesives is the state of the surfaces you're bonding. Apart from some being reet-boogers to glue (such as polythene etc.) they are very sensitive to grease and other crud, even in microscopic amounts, on the mating surfaces.

Reply to
pete

Araldite Rapid.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

West System have recently added Six10 in a 190ml cartridge ... this is West System world famous epoxy, with stiffeners already included in a self mixing cartridge.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

LOL!

I agree. I have used Araldite for 40 years, and still use it. For those purposes where you need a faster cure, there's Rapid.

Reply to
Bruce

Off topic, but a filling fell out (big hole, right at the back), went to the dentist expecting injections, drilling, etching and all the rest.

However, my previous dentist has retired and a new dolly dentist saw to me.

She told her assistant to mix a big ball of something, bunged it in the hole, shaped it with her fingers and said "OK, that's it". Two minutes!

Does anybody know what it is?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Car body filler.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On a similar subject, anyone know how grab adhesives work? Some of the newer ones like 'Serious Stuff' etc are simply incredible.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The newer really impressive ones are MS Polymer (MS =3D modified silane, and they are mostly polyurethanes).

I'm no chemist (hence reliance on wikipedia) but this gives some info

the general subject, the structural methacrylate glues are pretty amazing, I called some industrial glue suppliers to get recommendations about what glue to use for some stainless steel plates

- was expecting the answer to be ms polymer or possibly epoxy, but they came back with these

stuff, like a pumped up holt melt on steroids (with a little more open time).

Reply to
Bolted

Also, about 25 years ago at work, a Bostik rep. called in with an adhesive that could work on slightly greasy metal - in fact it worked better on that than on degreased metals. I've never seen it advertised anywhere, so perhaps it didn't fulfill its promise.

Reply to
PeterC

Apart from being weaker and utterly useless for hot service, Araldite Rapid is also _slower_ than standard. Standard Araldite can be mixed hot and will cure in a few minutes - really as fast as you're able to work it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A useful hint, thanks.

Reply to
Bruce

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Apart from being weaker and utterly useless for hot service, Araldite Rapid is also _slower_ than standard. Standard Araldite can be mixed hot and will cure in a few minutes - really as fast as you're able to work it.

It was meant with humor .... I used rapid when I first started work .. 1975 ! and it had been going years then.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

yep P38 great on incisors

prefer Isopon on molars

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Hmm - I'm no great fan of Araldite rapid, but it will also set quicker when heated. I did this very thing over the weekend, and it set 'strong' within a minute or two. I've never had the 'slow' Araldite set so quickly. Do you know something I don't? (I use a hot air gun to warm it up; I have put ceramics etc. in a cooling oven overnight with the full strength stuff)

I do agree that Araldite Rapid is very poor strength- and adhesion- wise when compared to the normal stuff. It also seems to me that 'years ago...' Araldite was stronger than it is now. However I put that down to the amazement of youth, and lack of experience of using it in many and varied applications.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Too much risk of over-doing it and having it fail altogether, IMHO.

It'll set while you're stirring it, if you over do it.

I use an adjustable lab stirrer hotplate, with a disposable aluminium mince pie dish on top. You can use a kitchen electric stove instead, but keep it low. If it discolours, smells, fumes, turns "gritty" or indeed sets solid, you've overdone it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sounds like you cook it substantially hotter than I've ever tried. Useful to know you can go as high as that, thanks.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Spot fix and then apply as a fillet works very well for some applications.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q