Is there a max size on how big your garage can be.

Hi,

Is there a max size on how big your garage (at the rear of the property) can be or is there a minimum distance between the rear wall of the house and the front wall of the Garage?

I am in a dilemma ? Although quite big to park three standard cars in my garage it can't take the LWB Van that I own. Approx Size of the garage is 4 meter deep and just under 6 meter wide. However next door neighbour - whose garage is not as big in volume but is quite long. I recon about 7 meters deep and 3 meters wide. Just perfect to park my 6.5 meter long van.

Change in work calls for parking the van in the garage overnight....

Will call up Merton Council tomorrow and find out, but thought if anyone had any ideas here.

Thanks

JM

Reply to
Jag Mann

Just been looking into this - if garage is >5m from house, it can be up to 50% of garden area without planning permission if roof < 3m high (flat) or 4m (ridged). If

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Take a look here

Peter Crosland

Buy a tractor and call it an agricultural implements shed. You can almost make it any size you want then :-) Mine is 23 metres long, 8 wide.

Reply to
G&M

Show off. I bet you've filled it with a really big Scalextric track, too.

Reply to
Hywel

But you will certainly need planning permission and will have to make out a genuine case based on need.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

If you're a registered farm you do have to apply for permission now, unlike about ten years ago, but provided the new building is in the curtilege of the farmhouse and not on the actual farmland they have no grounds to refuse permission. Same with cowsheds.

But not with stables.

Reply to
G&M

Trailer. Water tank. Boiler. Lots of junk.

And vehicles outside. Just like a normal garage :-)

Reply to
G&M

Much more complex than that these days. Locally several farmers have had applications turned down in the last year because there was no proven need for the buildings.

Reply to
Peter Crosland