Is there a hinge suitable for this cupboard?

A mate has designed a cupboard for an odd-shaped alcove and asked me to build it for him.

The front of the cupboard isn't parallel to the back -- it's at 45 degrees.

Plan view here:

there any kind of concealed hinge that would work with that design?

He doesn't want the hinge visible on the outside and it seems to me that, unless there's some weird hinge out there that first pushes the door forward, the side of the cupboard will obstruct the rotation of the door.

Reply to
mike

The bog standard 'Euro hinge' as found on kitchen cabinets.

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

Maybe have a look here:

Blum offer a wide range of hinges (of the Euro type) with special features - e.g. for opening within an gap, extra wide opening, etc. You can also find fitting details, etc. on the site. They are probably the best quality and, in my experience, the easiest to fit and adjust.

(If you do use them, get the Blum template part number 65.5300 to make fitting the carcase-side part easy. This will work with some other makes as well. 27mm from edge & 32mm between holes. Just happens to be next to my computer...)

I do not have any shares in Blum, but I'm starting to think about it... :-)

Reply to
Rod

Tried that on some offcuts. The 45 degree angle stops it opening.

Reply to
mike

Cut the sides with a 45 degree bevel, then you effectively have a flat surface for the door to open/close to.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Odd. I have a corner cupboard with 45 degree door and 135 hinge.

It may have had a slightly different hinge version.

Anyway, such hinges are abailable, and idf you male the door a few mmm proud of the carcase, its no big deal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Add a 50mm door pillar on the same plane as the door, make the door 50mm narrower, job done

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Having just fitted some of these last week... are you sure that you haven't drilled the circular recesses too close to the edge of the door? That will have the same effect, regardless of whether its a 45-deg door or not.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I've tried different hinges and not only did it not work, I couldn't see how it would work.

But I'm prepared to accept that I'm being thick about it.

Can you please post a link to a picture of the type of hinge you're talking about?

Reply to
mike

I'm pretty sure it was right.

Because the edge has a 45 degree bevel, you'd be busting out of the other side of the MDF if you were too close to the edge.

You're making me doubt myself now, but I did try three different versions of concealed hinges and they all fouled as the door opened.

Any further advice appreciated.

Reply to
mike

Not sure I understand what you're getting at, Dave.

The sides are at 45 degrees - as is the vertical door edge - and that's what's causing the problem.

Reply to
mike

You're moving the goal posts now!

Ideally, it has to be a full width door with the hinges invisible from outside..

Reply to
mike

Thanks for the link.

The "corner cabinet 45 degree" hinge at the bottom of page 60 looks like it would work - just means the bevel on the side panels would have to be the opposite to what it is in the plan and the test pieces.

Reply to
mike

Hinge it at the top. 8-)

Reply to
dennis

True - maybe its that which is causing the problem (ie, that you can't get close enough to the door edge)

David

Reply to
Lobster

But aesthetics aside, that's no good either as this is in an alcove, innit?

David

Reply to
Lobster

There are hinges that work in alcoves or is there some other problem?

Reply to
dennis

Why not split the door down the middle and have it fold on its self when you open it?

Reply to
dennis

OK, if you'll permit me to take my plane to your door, what's wrong with the following?:

The front face of the door is undisturbed, so it would look identical to your version.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Look at the OP's picture again: because the cabinet is at angle to the wall, if you were to hinge it along the top edge, the door would impinge on the space to the right of the cabinet, which is presumably currently occupied by wall?

David

Reply to
Lobster