Is there a 2nd hand market in air con units?

My employers are moving offices, and part of their lease terms are that they must return the premises to their original condition prior to handing back the keys. 7 air conditioning units were installed at some point since we moved in, and potentially they are required to remove these before moving out (long story, but its 4 small units knocked through together, however the external air-con units are sited on the balconies of the 2 end units, meaning the middle 2 units external air con units are 'tresspassing' if you see what I mean).

I've seen aircon units on ebay - but I wondered whether there was a more formal 2nd hand market available for these units (4x flat ceiling mounted Daikin + 2x wall mount Fujitsu + 1x flat ceiling Fujitsu).

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Have they contacted the building owners? Perhaps they might be willing to compromise?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The only compromise they'll make is if the manage to let the 4 units to a single occupier (like we are) then the air con may be able to stay. Otherwise we have to remove the aircon (possibly maybe just the ones in the middle units), block up all the walls etc.

Part of the reason they're moving out is because of the problems they've had with the landlord.

David Hearn

They will certainly have some value but if they are split units, they will need to be properly pumped down to preserve the refrigerant, and the pipework sealed (preferably brazed) to prevent moisture ingress which would be problem at re-install time.

I don't know if it applies to all units but when I moved my Mitsubishi split, there was a simple procedure that allowed the refrigerant to be all pumped into the outdoor unit, which did not require any special equipment.

Re-installing needs a minimum of an oxy-acylene or MAPP torch, a vacuum pump and a manifold gauge, plus replacement pipework etc. These can be bought for less than I was quoted by a couple of aircon engineers to do it, and will sell easily afterwards on ebay.

Reply to
Mike Harrison