Is the Age of the Bath Over?

Or more accurately - small kids hate showers... A friend's son was taking showers (no bath in their house) with his swimming goggles on for the first 8 years of his life.

Reply to
JoeJoe

I've got one of them fancy new things that uses methane gas to heat the house, basically you start with a can of baked beans....

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Not that much of a generational thing. I never have baths and I'm, er, a mature person. Put it this way, I have a Senior rail Card.

Reply to
Huge

Would several smaller drinks have the same effect?

Reply to
Adrian

Does it? I'm not at all sure I follow your line of thinking here, especially since the "edge" shown in your link is very well rounded-off.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Identical to the one in my bathroom. Strangely, I'm still alive.

Really? If the shower screen wasn't there, you'd not headbutt a wall or the edge of the bathtub or the taps or the tiled floor, but land safely in a soft and pillowy bed of freshly-picked moss...?

Damn, but I need to stay at your gaff. This is LUXURY!

Hmm, Tim's reply seems to have tripped over its own feet and brained itself on the way to my newsreader, so I'll piggyback off you, Cursitor...

Reply to
Adrian

It's a sheet of glass 5mm thick. I wooden want to be hit in the face by the 5mm edge, rounded or not.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Laminate will do for me, but what specifically don't you like about the marble?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

If one does use shower curtains, changing them occasionally is quite a good (and fairly cheap) way to make the room look a bit different.

Baths are useful for things other than coal and bathing. For example a bath is a good place to dump soaking sheets, or a wet duvet... if someone's had a messy accident. Indeed a bath is the only easy place to wash some large items. Smaller large stuff can be washed in a shower, if it's got a tray with upstands AND if you can come up with a way temporarily to block the drain.

It's a good place to check the trim and watertightness of a model boat.

I'm sure I remember people leaving pot plants standing in a small amount of water, in a bath, when they're planning to be away from home for a while.

I'm sure I remember, from my childhood days, people dyeing clothes in a bath; I'm not sure I'd want to do that in a modern bath though in case I stained the plastic permanently.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Good Lord, man! Unless you take your showers with one foot in and one foot outside your bath, I find it impossible to see how you could head- but that edge in any way that could cause you injury. And even if you did, you're not going to get lacerated, are you? This isn't "real glass" we're talking about here. It's soft and cuddly and it wobbles, thereby absorbing any impact.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Nobody has mentioned the problem of mildew over everything shower related. I have neither screen nor curtains, and the odd few drips get soaked up by the bathroom mat, which then dries happily over the edge of the bath.

Reply to
stuart noble

definitely lowers selling price of house if no bath

Reply to
rick

1) It's hard and unforgiving and breaks things - or chips them, I've damaged a couple of things that way. 2) You can't tell by a glance whether it's clean or dirty or has sticky stuff on it. That has to be its most irritating aspect. 3) The usual way it's installed seems to involve an inset or offered-up-from-underneath sink, which in our case leaked water into the underneath cupboard, and collected unhygienic grot in the join.

Ours wasn't installed very well anyway. One slab has a crack in it, and next to the sink they ground out some draining board slots, but made them horizontal rather than sloped. As the slab itself is not *quite* horizontally installed, this results in water draining away from the sink, running down the front of the unit, and rotting it.

This stuff was here when we moved in, but will all be ripped out and replaced at some point. That will also allow an examination of the kitchen walls, which I suspect are cracked which would explain the freezing cold air we can sometimes feel in the kitchen in winter.

Reply to
Tim Streater

When I was a kid that was where everything got washed. No washing machine then. I had to work the mangle getting water out.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I don't take showers, I take baths. But either way, one will be in the nuddy and wet, a good recipe for accidents.

By slipping. You never done that?

I took the old one to the tip, and dropped it into general household waste jobby, expecting it to flop in there and then be scrunched up in some interesting way when the compression piston in the jobby made its next pass.

But no. As soon as some part of it hit the metal bottom of the jobby, it shattered into a million pieces. Of glass.

Failure mode: you slip, a process during which you have no control over what happens, due to being wet. Leaving aside the head-butting problem, there's some chance of biffing the glass door one way or the other. It will swivel about its vertical hinge and bash into the wall, and if my experience at the tip is anything to go by, it will then shatter, making a nice bed to fall on.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Might be a ghost. I had a ghost once in a house I once owned that did that. Poltergeist to be more precise. Get a vicar in.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I still don't see the issue here. It breaks into a million bits. That's fine. That's safe. Now shards, on the other hand....

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

And cleaning the damn things. Especially those space-saving ones that slide around a curvature on little rails; nightmare getting the muck out!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

IMO it only makes it a bit harder to sell these days.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , Phil L writes

Funny how experiences vary, I use a shower for day to day washing but I'll use a bath for a strip all surfaces back to basics full scrub.

If I feel an itch, irritation or a thickening of skin I'll feel I am overdue for a dip and take a long a hot soak. The opening of pores seems to let the source of whatever is bothering me seep away and dissipate with the wash.

I let my ears fill with the hot water as part of this soak but have never suffered ill effect

Have you ever been diagnosed with perforated ear drums. A previous partner of mine had this problem and would avoid immersion in water to reduce the risk of middle ear infections.

Reply to
fred