Is the Age of the Bath Over?

Hi all,

I seem to be getting intelligence lately from all quarters suggesting that showers have taken over from baths now and that virtually no one is putting baths into bathrooms any more.

Your experiences?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I loose marks if I book a hotel room that only has a shower!

Reply to
Michael Chare

I went from a bath-with-shower-over to a larger bath *and* a good-sized shower. The bath doesn't get used very much but it does get used and it's very much worth having if you have the space.

If I only had space for one, I'd always go for a decent-sized stand-alone shower rather than a shower over a bath. When deciding on such things I give little or no weight to the saleability of the house: I do things purely for our own convenience.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I love baths. I think the shower has only taken over insofar that its faster in the ridiculously fast way of life many have. It also happens that many more people go to gyms and they are hardly likely to have baths fitted.

There is something about lying in a bath. the snag is that most are not really large enough. Also the health and safety mob recon showers are safer cos if you fall in a shower, you won't drown. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A lot of old people cannot stand for too long in a shower. They need their baths. I prefer baths, too. For years, in Germany, I only had showers in my apartments. On return to the UK I bought my first house with a bath and it was like heaven.

However, now I'd like a shower AND a bath. Showers are handy if you're recovering from an operation which prohibits you from soaking the incision. I had to wait for six weeks after one op, having only sponge baths in front of the sink. No fun that.

The best showers are wet rooms, like we had in two hospitals I stayed in. Quite a large room, no ledge around a shower tray to trip over, and thus also a very pleasant experience. Oh, and just a simple knob to press on the wall to get five minutes of hot water at *just* the right temperature. You could press the knob again for another five minutes. These were standard NHS hospitals in Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire. Brilliant. By the way, the food was excellent, too.

MM

Reply to
MM

When we moved here 2 years ago I ripped out the bath & installed a power shower.

Apparently though, people with small kids like baths.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Both. Always.

Shower for day-to-day, bath for "Oh, gawd, I ache - pass me that bottle of red..." evenings.

Reply to
Adrian

A lot of old people can't step into or out of a bath, so need a shower tray. You can, of course, put a seat in a shower tray.

Reply to
Adrian

My wife uses a electric (battery) bath chair-lift (made by Aqua Joy). It's impressively robust, and relatively good value for a disability adaptation.

Any move we make will involve a fully equipped wet room, so she could just wheel in.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It's a generation thing. My children (now in their twenties and thirties) never have a bath. Always showers. Whereas my wife and I always use the bath.

Just about the only exception is when I need a wash during the daytime after doing a really mucky job, then I use the shower.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Knickers to that. Bath every time, although I use the shower attachment to wash my hair.

Soaking in a hot deep bath is very therapeutic.

We just redid one of the bathrooms - new bath with posh shower attachment. It was also an chance to throw out those dangerous hinged glass doors that pass as shower doors and put shower curtains in.

Reply to
Tim Streater

With exceptions ... I'm 50 and almost always shower instead of a bath, my parents ripped their bath out years ago ... I don't like to use their shower though, compared to mine it's like standing under two Jif Lemons!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Dangerous? Seriously?

I much prefer them to a damp curtain clinging to me.

Reply to
Adrian

Ooo er!

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I never had the time for a bath, a shower is much quicker. My bath only ever got used for rinsing out paint brushes etc. I removed it and installed a shower flush with the floor, which made the bathroom bigger. No panels, just a curtain which pulls out of the way, so effectively the shower takes up zero space.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Perhaps his missus kept it so clean he walked through it. ;-)

Agreed, but aren't curtains regarded as a bit naff-looking these days?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I think that's true and the idea of showering maybe 2 times a day seems to me more common. Also I think the term bath is a bit old and given the choic e people now like Jacuzzis and hot tubs. But they will not want you to call them a bath even if tey use them for having a bath. My Jacuzzi requires me to eat baked beans and drink larger ;-(

I would doubt that is a reason for not having a bath installed.

Strange, but I don;t have anyone to talk to when I'm in my bath amd I only ever tell the truth ;-)

That's a strange one, I'd have thought showing means standing up and if you fall you have farther to fall and can hit your head. Both have unigue uses, see psycho and John Haigh.

Reply to
whisky-dave

My mother has a shower with a seat. Much easier than getting in and out of a bath.

Wet rooms suck. Unless you like damp towels & soggy toiletries.

Reply to
Huge

I'm talking about these:

Seems to me it's too easy to slip in the bath (or outside) and your head goes straight into the edge.

Got rid of 'em at the earliest opportunity.

Reply to
Tim Streater

... storing the coal?

Reply to