Is RCD/RCBO mandatory for electric shower?

Royal Soc for the *Promotion* of C to D?

Reply to
John Rumm

Previously known as the Spastics Society.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

:->

Reply to
Tim Watts

replying to Lee, noel gallagher wrote: i could go into detail what you need to do but unless you are qualified i strongly recommend you get someone who is to do it.as showers come into contact with person/s you need protection with a safe disconnection time so an rcd or rcbo is mandatory.as for cable size ,length of run,where and how is the cable is run,size of shower come into play also.

Reply to
noel gallagher

It's more or defacto mandatory for any circuit, unless you can bury it >50mm below the surface or mechanically protect it, or surface run it.

It will also be necessary if you have no supplementary binding in the bathroom under the 17th.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh dear!

45 years ago in my first house I fitted and plumbed in a Triton 7KW electric shower over the bath. The cable went straight down the pipe box and finished up in the meter cupboard. I was very nervous when I connected the cable to the electric meter. Nervous is better than saying that I was shit scared. The meter had fuses. No RCD stuff. There was no isolation switch for the shower. I was dead proud of my shower. I wish that I was 45 years younger.
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I did the same at around the same time.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Pity that 45 years later you are still describing a consumer unit as a meter.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Well this is a DIY group, so that is exactly what you need to do. (unless you just fancy waving your willy?)

Having said that, the original post is over 4 years old, so chances are its been done now!

There is no requirement for qualifications, just adequate knowledge and skill.

Since the 17th edition, a RCD is mandatory for an electrically heated shower, however not for the reason you cite, since its quite possible to meet the required disconnection times without a RCD in many installations.

John Rumm

You might be pushing it at that comment:-)

Reply to
ARW

If it had gone wrong and had shit himself and least he could have wiped his elbow clean with a bit of toilet paper.

Reply to
ARW

That was to bait you. As always you took the bait, thicko. I Just knew that you would read and reply. Thicko

But it did not go wrong thicko. I can remember shafting three nice women under that shower whilst stood up. At differant times.

No sane man would have bought a council house, thicko.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

It would have been more impressive if at the same time.

God, you're acting as if you've been married to Adam.

Are you jealousy of him? It certainly shows!

Reply to
Fredxxx

May I point out that you were not replying to me but to damduck-egg when you posted that?

He did not take the bait (no-one did as there was no bait) - he just pointed out that you are not very clever.

Reply to
ARW

I was once involved in a 3 in the bed romp. Two girls and me.

I do not like bullies and he is a bully.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

"Three strikes and you're out"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's true, I moved 3 years ago and t'other week found a Scruit(tm) lurking in a lightswitch. I thought I'd replaced them all.

Still got a smoke detector I bought when I moved in, that should be getting fitted this year.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I've still got some in a tobacco tin. They stopped being useful when cable stopped being stranded.

Reply to
charles