Is 'No-Nails' any more than just Acrylic Filler?

I need to attach some 50cm battens to a wall to support a small thin ply board. Rather than screw them I am considering using one of the 'no-nails' type adhesives. But I don't want to buy a whole tube for such a small job. I have already-opened tubes of acrylic frame filler which if I don't use will go hard. Would the filler substitute or is there something special about the 'no-nails' products? DAvy

Reply to
David Stokes

Totally different products

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Nope. Go to Wilkinsons & buy a tube of their own label grab adhesive, thinks its called powerbond or similar. Under £3 last time bought one. Top screws back on to save it for other jobs.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They're sticky?

Don't know how their chemistry varies, but you'll not stick much with an acrylic filler.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

or even cheaper, Toolstations own "glue screws" grab adhesive, only £1.33 per tube.

Reply to
paulag

Fixodent Denture Cream ?

Reply to
Adrian C

They're sticky?

Don't know how their chemistry varies, but you'll not stick much with an acrylic filler.

As an aside, part used silicon type products, I screw a screw into the nossle, the product does go hard after a time but just unscrew the nossle and take out the now hardened plug of silicone and screw back on.

Reply to
SS

It goes off quicker, but I suspect its the same general stuff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is that a 'cartridge' or a 'tube'?

If the former & the OP doesn't use it often, a tube may be better.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Some "no nails" are different to others. There are solvent based versions such as Gripfill and its imitators. There are acrylic "no nails" products which are useless and there are MS polymer versions which IMO are the better ones. Evostick "Nail and Seal" is good, but getting difficult to find. Toolstation sell Stixall which is the same polymer and which handily is available in small tubes as well as 310ml cartridges. Tubes are £2.45, cartridges £4.44

sealant isn't even a good sealant, so it's rubbish as a glue.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks for the advice to buy the 'no nails' type stuff. Went to Focus and a tube of Unibond 'No More Nails - instant grab gap filling adhesive' was £5.50 for the white non-solvent variety (I have asthma). Looks very similar to acrylic gap filler but will give it a go.

DAvy

(David Stokes wrote in news:Xns9E4FA306C572Bdavidchobhamorguk@216.196.109.145:

Reply to
David Stokes

They're OK, so long as they'll never get a sniff of water afterwards. As they also have a longer open working time, I do use them for some things.

Classic Gripfill (cyclohexane as a solvent) has some amazing horror stories from the US of drywall fitters taking out houses in fireballs from exploding Gripfill-filled basements.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Too late for you but my local B&Q has all types of No More Nails on clearance offer. I guess it applies in other branches as well. I paid £2.49 for a tube this morning.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Or don't bother with the screw. It goes hard and you pull out the plug just the same.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

David Stokes wrote in news:Xns9E507098184D8davidchobhamorguk@216.196.109.145:

Have now used it. Looked like acrylic filler, smelt like acrylic filler, felt like acrylic filler, behaved like a thin acrylic filler.

Didn't have any noticeable 'grab'; was able to slide the battens around easily to get level. Battens haven't fallen off the wall yet.

Davy

Reply to
David Stokes

Try toothpaste. It's all the rage in gaols but of course supplied free. Perhaps you could go around your neighbours and beg some if they could just go and look in their sheds.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer