Is my rubbish worth anything ?

Just in the process of replacing a heating system. I will have an old water cylinder , which I guess is worth something from the copper. What about the old single radiators ?

Would people want these items free, just thinking of saving a number of trips to the dump

Reply to
Popeye

A small amount but probably not worth the transport. If you were doing plumbing and heating on a daily basis and accumulated a fair amount of copper from cylinders and pipes possibly. IIRC, somebody here got about £30 for a van load.

Steel panel ones? Doubtful. If they were old cast iron ones a reclaim place could be interested.

If that amounts to a lot of time, is it worth getting a skip? .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

thanks yes single steel ones

Was hoping someone might just want them for free and save me going to the dump.

Reply to
Popeye

Scrap value, unless the radiators are the old style cast iron type, if so a salvage company might well be interested.

Reply to
Jerry.

Have you looked in your Yellow Pages for local scrap metal dealers, they might collect (assuming you don't want anything for the scrap).

Reply to
Jerry.

clean copper pays 90p per kilo scrap steel is about 12 pounds a ton

you have to get it to the scrappie

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In cases like this, I left loads of stuff like that stacked outside my house. Most of it was taken by passers by. The rest went in a skip.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, I have sold single panel steel radiators in the past by advertising them in the free local papers which do free small ads. I have usually found someone willing to pay a fiver per rad (for re-use, not scrap) - as long as the brackets (and possibly valves) come with them.

Reply to
Set Square

Have you done that in Suffolk? Everyone used to put unwanted stuff on their garden wall where I lived in Bristol which was a road along which lots of people walked to take the kids to school and the gypsies came round regularly hoovering up the metal

I assumed that it would be harder to get rid of not-quite-worthless junk with less passing trade ;-)

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

"Lobster" wrote | In the past I have deliberately left items like these at the | front of the drive and the pixies have removed them overnight... | having said that I left two old rads outside a few weeks clearly | marked 'rubbish - help yoursefl' and they were still there after | a week, so an enforced dump-run was required. Maybe a reflection | on the current value of scrap?

Perhaps you should have labelled the radiators "quality pre-owed radiators - £20 each" then the pixies would have thought they were getting something of value.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 10:29:29 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "Lobster" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Put a chain and padlock on them, and they'll go before you can turn around.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Yes.

There are plenty of self employed builders around, and D-I-Yers, and they took all the old doors and windows for garden sheds etc. Even a fairly naff mauve cloakroom suite went eventually, apart, strangely enough, from the basin....

About 1/2 ton of perfectly stacked machine tiles didn't go either. Probably someone thought I wanted to keep em.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From: Set Square ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net)

advertising

Why is reuse of rads not more common? Are they failures waiting to happen? I've not fitted a CH system yet, it just seems an odd practice to throw and repay. I assume theres a good reason?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In message , N. Thornton writes

It's difficult to assess the state of internal corrosion and also they need a good clean out to get rid of sludge

apart from that, I see no reason for not doing so.

Reply to
geoff

Well these are just the sort of things which get lifted from skips in the road, so yes. In the past I have deliberately left items like these at the front of the drive and the pixies have removed them overnight... having said that I left two old rads outside a few weeks clearly marked 'rubbish - help yoursefl' and they were still there after a week, so an enforced dump-run was required. Maybe a reflection on the current value of scrap?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I dont think Ive ever seen a rad leak - though I have seen the fittings leak. Thus the corrosion question appears to be a non issue.

As far as sludge goes, I dont know, if there were that much it would be dropping out the holes as you carry them away. Would sticking a hose on one hole clear the majority of it?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In message , N. Thornton writes

Just searching for answers

That's how most people do it

Reply to
geoff

I've only ever got rid of rads when I have needed to regain some wall space - and have replaced a long single panel unfinned rad with a shorter finned or double rad, to get the same output from a smaller size.

The ones I have thrown out or sold are perfectly good - albeit less efficient and less decorative than their modern replacements.

Reply to
Set Square

You are lucky then. Mym had CH fitted using Myson rads, 6 in all, and within 3 years, 2 of them leaked from the self same place. Back of the rad at approx 3" from left side. There were only pin holes. The signs were decrease in water pressure on boiler meter and a huge paint blister on back of rad. I refitted 2 new ones and system is fine and dandy now.

-- troubleinstore

troubleinstore

me too. I think I might know. Normally rads are replaced when CH is replaced. And maybe most CH replacement occurs at build or renovate times - and those are times when rads are a relatively small extra cost, and it is particularly important to sale price that they all look new and of the same style. Now you wont get that buying used rads privately - only a dealer would supply an identical set in all the sizes you want.

So why no used rad dealers? 2 things.

  1. The bulk is large and the price low
  2. Selling new rads brings in more profit
  3. Selling used ones requires much more stock, since there are several styles and you need to hold enough stock on several.

Hence it doesnt happen. Perhaps.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton