Is my room to small for a shower ?

Hi,

I have a room / cupboard which measures 1370mm x 1440mm (don't laugh). I was wondering whether it would do as an en suite shower ? I can get a shower cubical that will easily fit at around 762 mm but I also wanted to fit a loo and a washbasin. I think everthing will go but it is obviously cramped and I just can't visualise what it would be like when finished. Are there minimum "standard" sizes for a shower room / toilet, or has anyone else seen one this small and say whether it is wokable or not ?

Many thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Well there are devices exactly as you suggest all-in-one for caravans......

Reply to
RW

But using that stinking blue formaldehyde liquid might not go down well in a en-suite.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sounds very tight to get a toilet in there too.

I remember someone posting a photo here a couple of years ago where there was so little room the shower was almost above the toilet and you almost has to sit on the pot to take shower...

David

Reply to
Lobster

A bit OT - but formaldehyde isn't the only thing you can use in a caravan toilet. There is something called BioMagic which is excellent, and sorts out waste through enzymatic action. Tried it this summer for the first time - absolutely brilliant, and no need for any of that ghastly toxic blue stuff!

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

You could do it as a wet room (google....).

It will of course require building regs notification so you might want to talk to your BCO about it early on to sound them out about their requirements.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I don't remember that one, but I did save one where they just put the shower in the kitchen

'm guessing it was some odd bedsit)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

My bathroom is 'bolted on' to the end of my offshot kitchen. It's 1000mm x 2800mm and just fits a shower cubical, toilet and basin nice and snugly.

-- JGH

Reply to
jgh

Total amateur here, but we have a downstairs toilet where one side has an elbow high low wall (don't ask why) 290mm from the cistern centre. It feels too tight when you sit on it, even though at shoulder/eye level the wall is a more normal 450mm from cistern centre (and even though the left side is also 450mm from centre along it's whole height).

So say 600mm is the total width needed for an uncomfortably cramped toilet (personally 900mm feels about right as an ideal minimum width). If you need the shower and the toilet on the same wall, then you'll have 678mm, so it's doable.

One idea to help you visualise whether you can live with it is to get some cardboard and put it either side of your existing toilet.

Don't forget the corner toilet/sink, although they always seem to take up more room than you think they're going to. Actually the corner toilet opposite the shower might work well for you as it frees up more wall space for the sink (or moves the pan a little away from the entrance, depending on how you're planning it).

Bromley86

Why does it need building regs involved?

My daughter would like a shower in her bedroom, I've tentatively planned it to be in a outside wall corner - would that need building notification?

And what are the penalties for not notifying such a 'home improvement'?

I dont intend moving from here, so a future house sale is not planned until I die! Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

it).

you could have a back to wall toilet and a cistern tucked away near the ceiling, even in the loft etc., to give you more space. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 17:58:20 +0000, a particular chimpanzee, alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Because it's an alteration to a 'controlled service or fitting', ie, drainage.

Yes.

Apart from the ones of it being an offence, liable to a fine?

Probably very few consequences to you then, but if you plan on dying soon, your daughter may be left with a minor headache when she comes to sell your house.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

(not ranting, just curious) So moving a kitchen sink from one wall to another is the same thing, if I have to add another hole in the wall for a new waste pipe?

Even if the waste pipe joins up with the adjacent bathroom waste pipe? I presume there is a fee involved in getting approval for such improvements?

What offence is it though? If taken by the Council, it will be a Civil Offence. And how will the council ever get involved anyway? If I wanted to sell, I have no receipts at all from work done in this house, I have either done everything myself, or had a friend do it (e.g. gas connections etc). A survey would just put down 'No documentation'. I'd just say it was done years ago, and the paperwork has been lost.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 20:59:07 +0000, a particular chimpanzee, alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

(Not judging, just replying)

Strictly speaking, yes. However, most LAs have better things to do than process _very_ minor alterations, so may not accept (much less seek) such an application. The informal policy in most places I've worked is only to get bothered about any alterations to below-ground drainage.

Yes. Unless it's an adaptation for a disabled person.

The Building Regulations are made under the powers in the Building Act

1984. Any breach can be prosecuted as a criminal offence.

Nosy /spiteful neighbours. Any obvious work in a conspicuous place (front dormer, side extension, etc) may attract the attention of a passing BCO. When the house is being sold, a surveyor may note some recent work, or, if the seller is honest, he may disclose it.

Solicitors are now under a duty to ensure that any work carried out _has_ all the required approvals. They can't rely on the seller's say-so, so absence of documentation would cause problems. I have had sellers on the phone to me panicking for retrospective approvals on the day before they are meant to complete a sale otherwise it will fall through.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula