Is my prediction coming true?

Nope. As pointed out in the article, Russia needs to export its gas more than we need to import it. It can't afford to interrupt supplies long enough for the effects to be felt in Britain. Indeed, the most probable result of Russia interrupting supplies would be to ensure that Europe would move towards total independence from Russian gas.

Reply to
Nightjar

Your prediction Harry? That's a bit like predicting last week's weather, today. It's been part of the introduction to 'Have I Got News For You' for a year or two!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The bit where the guy turns the wheel anti-clockwise? :-)

Reply to
Bob Martin

Er...um...thinks quickly...aren't all threads on gas systems reversed, like on gas bottles? And as the lights do go out all over Europe, that must be the explanation! :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Another effect might be for Europe to re-think its rather negative attitude towards shale gas and fracking, currently banned in France with moratoria in The Netherlands and Germany.

Chris Hogg

Yes,I noticed that.

No. Some almost century old street valves for water were reverse.

Reply to
harryagain

A tongue-in-cheek suggestion, Harry, not meant to be taken seriously!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Wasn't that done to make it slightly more awkward for operators of Steam wagons/Traction engines to replenish their tank without proper authority?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

...because gas imported from Qatar, Algeria and Libya is 'more secure' :)

Latest provisional stats for UK energy showing an increase in gas usage for electricity generation last year, reversing the previous big falls.

The Other Mike

Most of our gas imports come from Norway. Fracking and nuclear power could make us independent even of that.

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes as gas in gaseous form it's Norway by a very long way as it is cheap.

According to HMG figures Qatar accounts for over 90% of LNG imports and by value the imported gas from Qatar is about 50% more than that of the imports from Norway.

4 billion quid of gas imports per annum from Qatar is still very significant though.

With reference to the original post about Europe moving towards total independence from Russian gas, Libya are a significant supplier to Italy and Algeria are a significant supplier to both Spain and Portugal.

I'd not class any of those supplier states as being any more secure than Russia.

Reply to
The Other Mike