Is my plumber exagerating?

Just to point out I agree with all your points, but I thought the low pressure was solved by the presence of the pump?

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

A good supplier will have his installation cost and the cost of the boiler listed seperately in the quote. If the cost of the boiler is significantly more than the retail cost you can assume he's trying to rip you off.

The *profit* he's making comes from paying for his time, and that should be in the labour charge, not the materials.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Are they doing an Eyebyeza trip for your branch or something?

Reply to
Andy Hall

the *markup* that tradesmen make on parts is the difference between trade and retail. some tradesmen use that /small/ margin to cover the cost of getting to and from the job and the downtime of going to the merchants / suppliers every little helps.

in the case od the OP it's a reasonable price for a full installation.

Reply to
.

You agree with drivel that a tank should be left uncovered so rodents can enter?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The *retail* cost? How do you find that out for a boiler? But that wasn't the argument - it was about finding the cheapest possible price.

Err, a sensible tradesman will keep a stock of common fittings etc to avoid having to pick them all up for an individual job. Which requires an investment on his part. Now perhaps you can borrow money for free, but he can't. So will have to mark up materials in the usual way. Of course if you'd rather pay for his time and transport to go and get *everything* from the cheapest source, that's fine. But I'd guess you'd lose out on the deal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And pipes left unlagged to freeze. Boiler taking up space? Hmm thought combi's did that too!

Shower pumps are noisy though - can't argue with that.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

"Needs a noisy, expensive, leaky power shower pump"

Nah.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A combi is one space taking item. Better than three a: tank, cylinder and a boiler. Oh 4, and the pump.

That they are.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I get it, it should it be Labour - =A3700 Materials =A31500 Fee for ordering materials and putting them in the van =A3500.

Or to put it another way, rumble him and he won't want to know.

You make it sound like you find this acceptable, Dave....

Reply to
Lunny

Matt, you should go Eyebyeza, and experience the Eyebyeza mix. As an up and coming Chav you will love it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No - what I find unacceptable is just not rejecting one tradesman's estimate and finding another cheaper - if you can. And being sure the job will be done to the same quality.

You've not had a MIL etc ask you to put up a shelf etc and say 'it's an easy job and will only take a few minutes'?

If it's that easy, why didn't she do it herself?

Going back to the start of this tread, the original quote looked pretty reasonable. So how it's actually worked out is neither here nor there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A sensible tradesman will get (say) a 20% discount off "retail" and charge the client at (say) 10% discount. Why exactly shouldn't he? He's not doing it for fun. He will then charge more for fitting one you have got yourself to make up. Again, why shouldn't he? You can always say no. He will almost certainly get it from a local supplier where he has an account, not off t'internet (other than for smaller items). Do you imagine when you buy a car they take the price they get it for and add the salesman and preparation mechanic's time? Do you imagine when you buy a hi fi in Comet you pay the price they paid plus the cost of the (highly expert) shop assistant. ;o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Sorry, when I said "do you imagine" I was referring to Mark, not Dave! Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

go to B&Q who are likely to be cheaper than the merchats but with a reduced range of boilers to choose from.

point of order:

99.9% of the plumbers I know have an intrest free trade account and /all/ of them drag the morning out by going to the merchants for tube, odd bits which don't make sense to stock and a chin wag.
Reply to
.

You will find that most installers, gas, heating or electrical, will only do a supply and fit with a bottom line price. Few will fit equipment that you have bought.

Reply to
timegoesby

When you buy something out of a shop most people understand the basic mechanics that a shop has got to make profit to at least cover it's running costs (otherwise it wouldn't be in business). When you get a quote broken down into materials and labour, the materials shouldn't include a random percentage on top, depending on how much extra the tradesman wants. This should be detailed in labour. As to the question "Why exactly shouldn't he?" the answer is because it's ripping people off, it's not accurate, it should be detailed in labour.

For a plumber to tell me that a =A3600 boiler costs =A3900 and that 2 zone valves cost =A3120 when I can get them for =A370 is taking the piss somewhat.

Reply to
Lunny

So what B&Q charge is the 'retail' price for anything? Do you not realise B&Q don't even charge the same price for things between stores?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So they pick up *all* the materials for each and every job from their PM?

'6 screws, please' '6 wall plugs' '1/2 metre of solder' 'a lick of flux'

But perhaps you think this sort of thing should be supplied free? And do you expect a sparks to measure up a job carefully then get the exact cut length of cable from a wholesaler? And you'd be happy to pay for the 'cut length' price?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

lots of national stores charge /what the market will stand/ it's nothing new to me and I doubt others will be surprised, either. s.o.p, innit.

Reply to
.