Is my gas meter electronic?

My gas meter was replaced about a year ago and I assumed it would have been of the electronic type that could be read from outside the meter box. However, my meter is in a locked external cupboard and whenever the meter reader comes he always has to get access to read the meter. Do the electronic meters still need a visual check - in which case what use are they - or is it more likely that I don't have an electronic meter?

Reply to
clangers_snout

| My gas meter was replaced about a year ago and I assumed it would have | been of the electronic type that could be read from outside the meter | box. However, my meter is in a locked external cupboard and whenever | the meter reader comes he always has to get access to read the meter. | Do the electronic meters still need a visual check - in which case what | use are they - or is it more likely that I don't have an electronic | meter?

The keys to the ones I have seen are very simple triangular things. Not difficult to make. My mother in law asked for one and got it given by the then Gas Board.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

The whole point of an external meter is for it to be read with occupant either in or out, have a word with your supplier and demand you not being disturbed for this purpose.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

AFAIK they are not installing the small gas meters (E6 type which _operate_ using electronics), AFAIK it is because they were too inaccurate in favour of the customter.

Many of the most recently installed meters have an electronic transponder on them. This can read the meter from a van driving down the road.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The message from clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk contains these words:

I complained to my supplier 25 years ago and they provided me with a key FOC. You need it so you can check the meter and complain about their outrageously high estimated reading. :-)

Reply to
Roger

Screwfix also sell a multi-way key which gets into four different types of meter cabinet:

16428, £1.99

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Which is very useful as the square socket fits the CH drain taps.

Most meter boxes are not secured at the bottom (they can be to deter unwanted access) so just pull forward at the bottom and lift the whole case off.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The whole point of the post is that the cupboard is *locked*. The supplier will simply tell him not to lock the cupboard. The meter readers all have the neccessey triangular keys for normal meter boxes.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The meter readers have these. The OP is saying the cupboard (he doesn't say meter box) is *locked*, ie., only he has the key.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

FFS you're like a load of sheep following each other. The *meter reader* needs access to a *locked* cupboard. What use is a meter box key going to be to the OP? He has the key to the cupboard!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

although remote meter reading was looked into it was decided not to follow that road meter readers need to be able to access the meters for safety checks and also to check you are not fiddling the supply i come across on average 6 meters a day that are leaking gas to a explosive rate and most of the time the occupier is unaware of the problem due to the fact that they have just got used to the smell it is also a legal requirement for the meters to be checked

Reply to
hammy1967

Indeed,also the point that the OP made about electronic meters is no longer valid. In the dim and dinstant passed when we had a "joined up" gas industry instead of the abortion that we have now,investment was made into developing a system using AMR's (Automatic meter readers). These where essentially an electronic interface which when polled by an onboard pc (on a vehicle) would transmit the metering data i.e one vehicle could read loads of meters remotely as it dorve down the street without actually having to access the premises.

Unfortunately there is no longer any investment in the gas industry, it is totally f**ked and is just another railtrack-i.e one big accident waiting to happen,oh sorry,accidents are already happeing,bang,there goes another one.

tarquinlinbin

Reply to
hammy1967

The idea wasnt dismissed becuase of leaks,it was dismissed becuase of the break up of the fully integrated British Gas Business and the liberilisation of the gas market.

It isnt the gas suppliers responsibility to check for leaks. The property owner has that responsibility under the GSIURegs and if they suspect a leak,they are legally obliged to take certain actions.

The Gas transporter (EG national grid gas,UU,or whoever) is responisble for their part of the network up to the ECV,the meter is often covered under a PEMs contract between the Gas transporter or emergency service provider and everything else downstream of the meter outlet is the householder/homeowners responsibility.

In practical terms it is fairly un-usual to attend a gas escape and find a combustible mixture within the general atmosphere (i.e 5-15% GIA). Even lowish concentrations of 1% GIA cuase such a strong smell that action is taken. Unless its an empty house and there is no one to react!.

Several explosions and fatalities in recent years have been due to failures of medium pressure mains which have caused rapid escalation and deterioration of situations due to pressures and volumes of escaping gas involved. Hence the reason why Ofgem has finally allowed additional expenditure by gas transporters on mains replacement programmes.

tarquinlinbin