Is MCB dependent on cable thickness.?

I have been further looking at my consumer unit installation (had problems previously) and noticed my "cooker" feed has 6mm T+E cable but no electric cooker. Furthermore i have no intention of ever buying an electric cooker. Instead it is being used as a feed for the boiler, washing machine, fridge, and microwave. It has now effectively become a radial socket circuit.

Because the initial wire is 6mm for about 4-5 metres which has a socket attached, then a spur to a further double socket, am i correct in thinking a 40amp MCB is too high for this purpose? Would a 32amp or 16amp be more appropriate or is this not the case due to the cable being 6mm and requiring a 40a mcb regardless of use.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Shabs

It should have a 32A MCB (or less, but given its use 32A is more appropriate than a lower value). Ensure it is correctly labelled at the consumer unit.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The idea is the MCB goes before the (putatively shorted cable) catches fire.

i.e. Make sure the MCB is the Ann Robisnon of your circuit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought a radial had to have a 20A breaker?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Only if it's wired in 2.5mmsq. Depending on length and where they run,

32A radials are good with 4mmsq or 6mmsq.
Reply to
Stefek Zaba