Is it worth insalling a sattelite dish for freeview channels?

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Dave, it as you say does it itself which is altering the Zenith but only where it has to, thats of course tracked by the setup of the motor mount itself. But it does alter;)...

Else anyone might think that the same rotator system you might use to drive say an FM aerial for DX reception might do. Course that has no zenithal adjustment at all just an azimuthal one...

Reply to
tony sayer

You'd get the same effcet by having the ordinary rotator not mounted vertically but you wouldn't have the automatic DiSEqC dish control to send the dish to the right place for the satellite required for the channel selected.

I'm not sure the actual repeatabilty/actual position control would be fine enough with an ordinary rotator either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I was trying to make it clear to the OP who might think he can find a satellite from his arm chair by motoring the disk in any direction - that's all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"brass monkey" wrote in news:50465682$0$17935$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Thanks.. I wasn't aware of the Carke Belt until now. What the others were saying about the dish only needing to move within a single arc, all makes sense to me now.

JakeD

I think they aren't reduction geared that much, and as to the vertical tracking I think I seem to remember, its a little bit more complicated than that...

Reply to
tony sayer