Is it time?

Absolutely. Whether it'd get voted for or not, I don't know.

It's a good thing that I have been taking particular interest in this thread, or I would not know what the heck you are on about, as there is no quoting whatever. Still, I'm on the cider now, too.

I've no idea what that means, and get the feeling it's not a good thing to add more noise discussing it here. E-mail if you think it's worth it...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I don't have to deal with him - I don't see his posts, I don't see replies to his posts, and I don't feel as if I'm missing out on anything good.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Just my two cents - this group has a large number of posts - somewhere between 250 and 500 per day - and most of them are actually pretty high quality. What moderator is going to be able to cope with that ? I have seen groups far worse than this, which have been so flooded by groups of idiots with their agendas that all the normal people left. This group isn't anything like as bad as that. In fact it's one of the most informative groups around, IMHO. Moderation would likely kill it.

Dr Drivel obviously annoys some people but to be honest his postings do not make much impact here. There are also plenty of other expert people who are kind enough to weigh in and give their own views. It does not take long for a reasonably sensible person to make conclusions about a poster's credibility when five or six people come along and recommend you make a few changes whereas one recommends you rip out your entire plumbing and replace it.

Best just leave him alone and allow him to blow himself out.

Again, just my two cents as a relatively lurky person.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Nah. I think he's funny, particularly when he says something really stupid and won't let it drop.

He even occassionally is the first to suggest a genuinely useful technology, such as heat banks or accumulators. Of course, he will embed them in some ridiculous scheme involving two multipoint heaters and 15 tonnes of sand stuck in your cavity wall, but it is enough to sometimes to set the spark flying for a genuinely useful design.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The fools are those who concentrate on the non-workable ideas and let the good bits get buried under silly arguments. If D. is coming up with some good ideas sometimes then he's doing better than average. Argumentative swampers are the ones that need to be dumped off the ng.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Who said that the moderator had to be a single person?

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo

| |Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote: | |>

|> Just my two cents - this group has a large number of posts - somewhere |> between 250 and 500 per day - and most of them are actually pretty = high |> quality. What moderator is going to be able to cope with that ? | |Who said that the moderator had to be a single person?

Moderated newsgroups are difficult to operate, and some have failed = because the moderators moved on. IMO uk.d-i-y is a healthy group, with few problems. Moderation would IMO be a big mistake. I would vote against = any such proposal.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

In news: snipped-for-privacy@cartmell.demon.co.uk, John Cartmell scribed:

Those who denigrate others, in particular. Splinters, Motes and Eyes spring to mind. ;-)

Kind regards Nigel

Reply to
nrh

AFAIK I only denigrate in retaliation. If I have ever done so unilaterally then please accept my apology; if you want then quote the offending text (in context!) and I'll give you an explanation (or retraction) in addition.

Reply to
John Cartmell

In news: snipped-for-privacy@cartmell.demon.co.uk, John Cartmell scribed:

eeek! Sorry John, badly worded. I did not intend that to be directed towards you. It was merely a general observation. :-)

Kind regards Nigel

Reply to
nrh

That's OK. Perhaps we can put forward our dialogue as how it *should* be done! ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

I tend to agree - compared to most of usenet he's only mildly eccentric and opinionated, and I've often read his views with interest. Live & let live (or k/f the bugger if he really gets on your nerves).

Cheers all

Reply to
Steve Walker

Or even that every posting has to be manually moderated? IME most moderated groups have a pre-approved list of trusted posters; this would probably cover 90% of the postings to this group (95%+ if Drivel was pre-approved).

IMHO moderated groups are most useful when the group would otherwise be overwhelmed with commercial/personal/html/obscene posts. This is not the case with uk.d-i-y.

Owain

Reply to
Owain