Is it possible to use the roadside fire hydrants??

Page 1 of 2
Hi, As you may have seen from a recent post we have dug out a rather large pond and need to fill it before the clay dries out... We have a Yellow fire hydrant positioned out the front of our house, my Q's are...
1) Do you think it will be possible to hire a hose connect it up and fill up the pond (Under the cover of darkness)?? 2) Following on, would it be detectable, in decrease in water pressure either from homes or somewhere central. 3) If we contacted the authorities (Who is in charge of them) would we be able to use it and for what cost?
We are on a water meter and so are our neighbours, next door use to not be on a water meter and she's filled up most of the peoples ponds along the road but now that's not an option... The cost of filling it up by hose pipe would cost a small fortune I imagine. Cheers Oli

I have heard of the Fire Brigade filling (and emptying) swimming pools before, so I would imagine a pond would be OK. This was in rural Essex and done from the engine/tank. Might seem a bit strange asking them.
Toby
Get the tool, go on and just do it! BUT, don't tell anyone, and particularly don't mention it to any newsgroups............ BAH

BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

'Cause they sell more tickets to the fireman's balls.
--
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com
lol

geoff

u got it

Hi All,
To put this in context, here in the Thames Water area we pay 1.02 for 1000 litres on a water meter. Now 1000litres is a cubic metre so if you have a really big pond, say 10 metres long by 3 metres wide and 1 metre deep, this is 30 cu metres so it will cost you the princely sum of 30.60 to fill it. Might be cheaper than hireing the tool and risking prosecution!
Ian.

You can hire standpipe & valve tool from HSS - I used one to get water during my build.

But are we allowed to use it without a licence/authorisation?

I've got just the reverse problem to you. Water is steadily appearing in one part of my garden and seeping into the ground a short distance away, between my house and my neighbours fence. Neighbour is away abroad on holiday, so can't find out any details from them just now, although their house is being minded, and it doesn't seem to be from a garden watering system, stuck in the "full-on" position. At the moment I don't know if my problem is a new spring (it's Oxford clay underneath, I've been here 20 years and it's never happened before), or whether it's a mains supply leak. Said water is gently up-welling from below ground, and this is happening at a point which is not the lowest point by any means, and areas a short distance away are still dry. Supply pipe runs are some distance away on the far side of both my and my neighbour's houses. I've checked the water hardness, and for what it's worth the up-welling water is 25-30% harder than the already hard tap-water.
It's sure making the vegetation grow like there's no tomorrow!
I'm a bit reluctant to contact the water authorities before neighbour returns home!
-- M Stewart Milton Keynes, UK www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm
Not sure if I get your long rambling story but If you say by filling up the pond I'm going to make next doors garden wet/boggy, then I doubt it, next doors garden is about 50m away from the pond, then its just then end which is boggy anyway, as for our house its about 30m from it also
message

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:25:40 +0100, Malcolm Stewart wrote:

Unless there have been some changes (reduction) in the local abstraction or new building nearby (within about 1/2 mile) I would doubt it is a new spring. This leaves a leak and being on clay it could be a considerable distance from where it is appearing.
I'd be tempted to dig down and follow where it is coming from.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Perhaps that is something that you should have considered before digging the pond?
Not only do you need permission to use a hydrant, the water authority will also charge you for the amount of water you draw from it. Taking water without payment is theft. We had to get the lawyers onto a company that kept sending its gully washers onto our industrial estate, to fill up at our private hydrants, so that they could avoid paying the water authority charges.
The alternative is to divert all your rainwater down pipes and hope for wet weather.
Colin Bignell
nightjar@?.?.invalid writes

Shouldn't take long ... it is summer
--
geoff

writes

So whose water was it before the water company got it -- and was any payment made for the company's acquisition of that water?

Did the industrial estate use its own well(s), spring(s) or aquifer(s) and, if not, whence did that water supply originate?
--
< Paul >

good point, even if you have your own reservoir I believe you have to pay the water company for its use...

That is irrelevant. It is their water by the time it gets to a hydrant and taking it without their permission is theft.

It is a metered supply, purchased from a water supply company. The company that was filling its gully washers was stealing from the estate management company, which had to pay for the water used.
Colin Bignell