Is it possible to solder brass fittings?

Hi all,

The thread has gone (i managed to overtighten it!) on my UFH manifold. The male fitting is fine. The female had a burr, created by the overtightening, which I removed. This now leaves a small (very small) leak.

I would like to just solder the two surfaces to fill the hole. I will never need to take the two apart.

I was thinking of having a go using a blow torch, solder and flux, but before I mess things up (even more) I thought I would ask the question here.

Regards,

NG

Reply to
Reader

What happens if you tin the threaded surface of the female fitting with a bit of solder? I'd have thought it might build it up just enough to seal it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

=================== It would also be a good idea to try 'tinning' a test area of the fitting (away from the threads) to see if it will actually accept solder. As far as I know some brassware (such as taps) can contain aluminium which may prevent solder sticking.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

If we are talking about a threaded conector, then a few turns of PTFE tape should do the trick.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wrote in news:416c0a17$0$54810 $ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:

Or possibly Fernox LS-X; I used this alone on all my recent pipework and it worked a treato. (I never was much good at PTFE tape)

mike

Reply to
mike ring

If it won't solder try using flux--propane torch and a small strip of roofing lead.

Reply to
Jimbo

Most brasses solder very well. Flux - yes. Lead? Hmm. Prefer ordinary plumbers solder r 60/40 tine lead.

BUT I am not sure this is teh way to go.

IF the thread is mechanically sound, its probably better to use some sort f mastic or the PTFE as others have suggested. Solder is mechanically very weak and can tear.

There is some sort of Loctite goo that can be used to do this sort of thing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Brass solders perfectly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks to all that have replied. There is a loctite 55 pipe sealing cord available.

I think I will have a go with the loctite. If that doesn't work I may try some two part epoxy. If that fails then I will try soldering.

I have to admit I have never been a fan of PTFE tape...

Reply to
Reader

If the mechanical connection is strong, but it just leaks, I'd go for Fernox as Mike said. Brilliant stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)