Is it possible to cut music noise through wall

Hi all,
I live in a top floor, of a three storey block of purpose built flats built around forty years ago There are concrete floors between the levels and there is no problem from below. On the one side of my flat, the wall that is alongside the next door flat is a 9" laid flat concrete block wall finished with plasterboard spot stuck to the wall with plaster. Is there anything I can do to my side to cut some or even better all the Noise out; this is only a problem when they are playing music, and alouth I use headphones when I want to listen to music or watch a late film, they just blast out! As my flat is a bed sit this same room is also my bedroom and I just cannot get to sleep when it is blasting out. Hoping for helpful advice,
Would anyone also know if, because this is an Housing Association flat, whether there are any grants available to help upgrade?
Ghetto blasters were not around when these flats were built!
pity they are now.
Mick Cant
Yes in theory, but not easily. You would probably need to put up a false wall, something heavyish ( e.g. plasterboard ) to reflect sound back, and fill it with rockwool to attenuate the sound. It's necessary to avoid gaps and support the false wall in such a way as does not allow the sound to be transmitted via the supports. There was a query on I think, the 13th or 14th of August on this subject. If your mail programme deletes old mails you could search for it by doing a search on google, i.e +google +groups +uk.diy or somesuch. Sorry, no practical experience on soundproofing.
Andy

built
is
finished
only

built
is
finished
only
There is no easy solution to this common problem. Basically you need to build another wall next to the existing one and loose about 125mm off the length of the room. It's like building a sound studio wall. The minimum would be 50mm sq stud frame with a 50mm gap stuffed with rockwall insulation and then covered with two layers of plasterboard - first panels horizontal second vertical. The stud frame should be insulated from ceiling, floor and side walls by 10mm thick hard rubber blocks, it should be a tight fit no screws. This may sound a bit drastic but it works.

I would ask the Housing Association. I assume you will have to get permission

Remember that it's very difficult to reduce the low frequency bass notes as these may be travelling along the concrete floor.
Robin

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:07:43 +0100, mickcant wrote:

Talk nicely and calmly to your neighbours and explain that although their music is very nice you would rather not be able to hear it when trying to sleep. Assuming "normal" sleep times, say 2300 to 0700. A vast majority of people are sensible and will respect their neighbours, others don't then the trouble can really start. Maybe a search for the Avengers Handbook could be useful in this situation...
As for doing something to your wall the only thing that will keep transmissive noise down (note down not out) is mass and lots of it. Searching back in this group should find plenty of tips, as this has been discussed several times before.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

built
is
finished
only
How about filling the wall with book shelves and filling them with books. I don't really know if it works, but at least you'd have something to read when you can't get to sleep. :-)
Peter.

If you could face the mess I would strip off all the plasterboard and get the wall wet plastered (get the extra sockets and wall lights put in *before* you do this). There's more than a fair chance that the poor sound insulation is due to poorly filled joints in the block wall which allow sound through
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
Get some M20AD from a company called custom audio designs (www.customaudiodesignns.co.uk). It's a kind of foam mat that you stick on the wall (15kg/sqm). I got some last week and it did the trick brilliantly.
Greg

only one n in designs though
btw, why would they have "This product and method is not suitable for loud music and cinema noise coming through a wall." on <http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/soundproofing/rubbermat.htm though?
--
dave @ stejonda

I suppose it depends how you define loud? I could distinctly hear my neighbours have a converstation. Now I can't. Simple as that.

Ok, thanks.
--
dave @ stejonda

Thanks Greg, did you also put the two layers of plasterboard on as well? Mick Cant.

Yes I did. Bit of a leap of faith to put it up as they tell you to, ie with no support of the floor, just stuck to the insulation. Hasn't fallen down yet. Greg
On 8 Sep 2003 09:34:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com (Greg) wrote:

Going to do this myself. What adhesive did you use.
Ken
Sweet memory, wafted by thy gentle gale, Oft up the stream of time I turn my sail.

How much is this stuff?

23.50 per square metre. The adhesive they supply is Gripfill, but I suppose you could use any solvent-based stuff.

So you have to stick this against brick and plaster over?