Is it possible to buy a cheap house?

of this, I've just come up with an idea:

out##. Then buy any type of "park/holiday/caravan home", and live in it for 11 months, or however long you're allowed to. During the winter, when the holiday home needs to be vacated because of typical holiday park site restrictions, either move back in to the flat, or go somewhere else. I'm not sure where "somewhere else" could be though. Any ideas please? Thanks a lot.

I couple I knew who ran a cafe in a seaside town would move to Spain in the winter, as that was cheaper than staying in the UK. That was about

30 years ago though.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

out all of this, I've just come up with an idea:

n let it out##. =A0Then buy any type of "park/holiday/caravan home", and li= ve in it for 11 months, or however long you're allowed to. =A0During the wi= nter, when the holiday home needs to be vacated because of typical holiday = park site restrictions, either move back in to the flat, or go somewhere el= se. =A0I'm not sure where "somewhere else" could be though. =A0Any ideas pl= ease? =A0Thanks a lot.

That assumes the tenant moves out when asked. When they don't, you're homeless.

NT

Reply to
NT

To answer your question, and also other questions which have been asked abo= ut my original post:-

Ideally, I want to live in a rural detached shack-like property all the yea= r round, and have mains electricity, water and telephone. However, reading= the posts made by users above, this requirement appears to be tricky.

As a compromise, I could live in some kind of "mobile holiday home" propert= y. Buying that flat I mentioned earlier will enable me to obtain a "main U= K residence". I think this is a UK law requirement, if I am to be allowed = to buy a holiday home, as this would then become my second home.

I can then let the flat out to a tenant, to effectively get my money back o= n the purchase of this flat. I can live in the "mobile" property for most = of the year, but I'll have to leave it during the winter, as I think all ho= liday sites require this. I think that you aren't allowed to stay in a hol= iday home for all 52 weeks of the year.

However, what I don't understand is - if I let the flat out, and don't live= there at all, will that mean it's not my "main UK residence" any more? Wi= ll a local council say "hang on a minute, if you're not there at all, we ca= n't allow you to state it's your main UK residence", and therefore I can't = legitimately claim that my holiday home is in fact a second home.

Other answers to other questions: how much and where. Well, the flat coul= d be anything from 50K to 100K, which could also include a maisonette I sup= pose. The shack-like property, or mobile home could be around 50K. Where?= I was thinking of somewhere on the south coast.

Thanks a lot for any further comments or suggestions. Much appreciated.

Reply to
cdr

I've just had another thought, albeit a mad one. Is this idea allowed:

I buy a house with a garden. I build a shack-like property at the bottom of the garden. I live in it, all the year round. I let the house out to a tenant.

Reply to
cdr

the garden. I live in it, all the year round. I let the house out to a tenant.

Sorry, forget this idea. It won't work. I went to

this particular idea seems highly unlikely.

Reply to
cdr

the garden. I live in it, all the year round. I let the house out to a tenant.

> and this particular idea seems highly unlikely.

Depends on whether you need employment. Buy a house in Turkey for £20k and any savings will net 10% interest in the bank. Many have lived for years a comfortable lifestyle with £100k in the bank.

Reply to
ss

carriage in the '30s and later builders had to > retain the carriage.

My mate's Gran had a railway carriage as a holiday home - quite how it got there, I haven't a clue and it struck me as being too big for road transportation of the day, unless very expensive or favours owed, which was likely, come to think about it. Conversely, my Gran's mate had another one, and again, thinking back, gawd nose how it got there. Both of these carriages were in idyllic rural settings but both sites became swallowed by the growth of two New Towns. Would have been worth a fortune now.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You could do something like a student let... 9 month contract and they're graduating/going away for the summer so won't want to hang around. Would mean you'd have to vacate the 'shack' in the summer not the winter though. Unless you could also rent out the shack for a holiday let too...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

10% interest on Turkish Lira. And inflation in Turkey is how much?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

ear round, and have mains electricity, water and telephone. =A0However, rea= ding the posts made by users above, this requirement appears to be tricky.

Most 'holiday home' mobile homes will be on parks which have fairly stringent maintenance requirements and costs, eg you have to remove and replace the 'home' every 10 years.

=A3110k would buy you this, with garage, shed, workshop, and chicken house, and paddocks. You could live in the chicken house if you really want to live in shackly conditions.

cottage for =A353k, no land
have a look at
'Public property' page has links to church and MOD sales

And here are some definate wrecks

anything might be lacking though, but that's part of the charm of buying something with rubble walls and a wriggly tin roof.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

and this particular idea seems highly unlikely.

On the other hand I'm sure I've read of people turning sheds/garages at ends of city gardens into very basic single-bed flatlets.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

the garden. I live in it, all the year round. I let the house out to a tenant.

Is there some particular attraction to living in a shack? You could probably buy somewhere with a granny flat already built and live there while letting off the rest. Alternatively, buy a large house or something like a disused hotel, divide it into flats and let off all but one, which is where you live.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Been dropping for the last decade probably around 6%. Plus by shifting around money in the banks (from TL to £s to TL) one can make good gains on the exchange rate several times a year, usually at 10% gain each time. And stay away from luxury items and you miss a lot of the inflation rate.

Reply to
ss

You could do something like a student let... 9 month contract and they're graduating/going away for the summer so won't want to hang around. Would mean you'd have to vacate the 'shack' in the summer not the winter though. Unless you could also rent out the shack for a holiday let too...

When you occupy a "restricted" property the dead period is decide by the owner, not you.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

the garden. I live in it, all the year round. I let the house out to a tenant.

> and this particular idea seems highly unlikely.

It is still not really clear what you are trying to achieve. Do you want to find a cheap home in order to live within a tight budget or do you have some emotional or aesthetic desire for a 'shack'

Cheap property is either in the wrong place or requires a lot of work. If you have an income independent of location then that opens up a lot of 'wrong' places: abroad, the Celtic fringes of Britain, the uglier parts of post-industrial ghost towns. Property requiring work to make it habitable is not so cheap when that is factored in, especially if you are competing with dreamers willing to pay silly prices based on what might be rather than what is.

If you want a 'shack' as a lifestyle choice rather than a budgetary constrain then you might find what you want by looking for a doer-upper and just not bothering with the doing-up.

Reply to
DJC

[...]

The restricted occupancy for a "holiday" home is a planning restriction imposed by the council when permission was given for the properties to be built.

Usually, this is done in areas of scenic beauty where PP would not be given at all for residential properties but as holiday homes create jobs they allow them. In non touristy areas "park" homes have no such restriction. Sometimes the restriction will be removed many years after the property was built so it is possible to find properties with no residency restrictions even there, but prices increase accordingly

Anyone can "own" one of these properties, but they must not be occupied by someone as their main residence, hence the test of having somewhere else to live. In order to make it easy for the park managers to make sure that the occupancy restriction is complied with, they will close the park for a month decided by them (November or February are good months for this).

Yes, if you rent out your "owned" property it will NOT count as you main place of residence because you can't (reside in it).

How rural do you want it?

"park" homes are in fields surrounded by a load of similar properties. Not my ideal outlook.

Romney Marsh/Hastings is the cheapest part of the SE that I can think of

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Most 'holiday home' mobile homes will be on parks which have fairly stringent maintenance requirements and costs, eg you have to remove and replace the 'home' every 10 years.

£110k would buy you this, with garage, shed, workshop, and chicken house, and paddocks. You could live in the chicken house if you really want to live in shackly conditions.
cottage for £53k, no land
have a look at
'Public property' page has links to church and MOD sales

Hm, yet more sellers of wrecks who seem to want the profit from the upgrade whilst someone else does the work

tim

Reply to
tim.....

and this particular idea seems highly unlikely.

On the other hand I'm sure I've read of people turning sheds/garages at ends of city gardens into very basic single-bed flatlets.

but probably not legally

tim

Reply to
tim.....

You still get your UK pension too, that would make it doable for some. Turkey is too hot for me.

Reply to
dennis

How about this?

Reply to