is it OK to lay sheet vinyl on a wooden floor??

I have two areas where there is a suspended floor that I am going to lay sheet vinyl on -

1 has a traditional floor boarding (has been well screwed down as well as orginal nails) 2 has flooring chipboard which has no significant gaps and is solidly screwed onto joists Any advice please? Thanks in advance!
Reply to
Mikeyboy

Area 2 sounds better than 1 to me. It's a question of degrees; how uneven are the surfaces in relation to how thick your vinyl is. If it's low quality, thin vinyl, then any dents or high points underneath will quickly show through, like a brass rubbing, and a totally flat smooth surface is even more important than if it's decent, thick stuff.

I well remember the first ever vinyl floor I laid, many years ago in the kitchen of our first flat - M-I-L (bless her) put paid to it on her first inspection visit by managing to find a gap between the underlying floorboards using her stiletto (sorry, that should read "stiletto heel". I think).

David

Reply to
Lobster

Should be fine....just make sure there is no raised nails on 1 or cupping in the floorboards.,if there is you will have to nail down Hardboard first!

Reply to
Still Game