Is Fire Protection Required for Loft Steel?

Hi all

If I have a steel beam installed in a loft space, for suspending ceiling joists from, does this require fire protection. Is the plasterboard ceiling below it protection enough? Location is single storey kitchen extension loft.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Don't think they require fire protection - none of mine have. And the BCO was creeping round plenty when I had the job done.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A beam supporting the roof only doesn't need fire protecting (exception some portal frames).

See Approved Document B Section 8 paragraph 8.4 Exclusions from the provisions for

elements of structure

8.4 The following are excluded from the definition

of element of structure for the purposes of these

provisions:

a. structure that only supports a roof, unless:

i. the roof performs the function of a floor,

such as for parking vehicles, or as a

means of escape (see Sections 2 - 6), or

ii. the structure is essential for the stability of

an external wall which needs to have fire

resistance;

b. the lowest floor of the building;

c. a platform floor; and

d. a loading gallery, fly gallery, stage grid, lighting

bridge, or any gallery provided for similar

purposes or for maintenance and repair

(see definition of "Element of structure" in

Appendix E).

IanC

Reply to
River Tramp