is 'Faithfull' a good brand

Looking to by some new tools, one of which was going to be a Marples Tri-square .... just about to order form Axminster, and saw that in local outlet they are selling "FAITHFULL Carpenters 9" Try Square" .. at several pounds cheaper than Marples make.

Anybody know about quality for 'Faithfull brand"

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Bit of a mixed bag IME. The more builder-sh tools are very robust and well made - my trenching spade for instance. Haven't bought any joiner's tools from them as they looked a bit agricultural - probably fine for rough carpentry, and plenty rugged - but I'd choose Marples tools in preference for joinery work.

Reply to
dom

I have had Faithfull chisels, lump hammer etc. .... hence my Q. about this

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Like most things toolish these days they are Chinese copies of old hand tools. They started off being a bit rough, years ago, but have been getting steadily better. Most tools, even the most expensive, are not usable 'out of the box', they never were, and they all need fettling. Planes need flatting, chisels and plan iron need honing, etc, etc..

I can't believe a Try Square would be anything other than OK. Take a known good square, and, well, check it's square! It might need a little final polishing, if you are into perfection.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Check it agrees with itself both ways round against a straight edge, and it doesn't wobble at the join, if made from separate pieces joined together.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

wandering off at a tangent for a mo, is there any way of tightening the traditional carpenters style square?

I have one similar to:

note after falling off benches etc a few times over the years it has developed a slight amount of movement in the blade in relation to the body.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think you need to treat it like any piece of precision engineering which has been dropped - look for some other use (a door stop wedge?)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have a 9" Try Square form ScrewFix, it's a good 3mm out if you draw an 8" line. Easily checked by reversing square.

Now I have had it from new ... not been dropped, only when doing some accurate joints has it showed up the problem .... I'll go buy Marples.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

> and note after falling off benches etc a few times over the years it has

The Screwfix one I had looked the same .. but was not 'square' a good 2mm out over the length of blade. No way to adjust it.

Just ordered that Marples one.

Reply to
Rick Hughes