Is everyone else getting undelivered mail "Rethink the Cool & the Shoe"

Or is it just a quirk of my newsreader?

Reply to
geoff

Both my news feeds have them, but one more than the other.

Reply to
Grunff

Yes, min'e doing it too!

Reply to
Set Square

Yes, it seems to be some form of attack by a group protesting about multi-national branding / marketing such as Niki etc., hence the reference to shoes.

It's not just affecting this group.

Reply to
Jerry.

Yep, getting these in many newsgroups, not sure what is going on here.

Anyone know?

Duncan

Reply to
DeeBee

In message , Jerry. writes

That's OK then

Reply to
geoff

These _really_ piss me off.

It's a campaign by Adbusters, the people who are supposed to be anti-mass marketing and should know why spam is such a bad thing. It's an egregious campaign that is getting everywhere.

Please drop them an email and point out why it's not only annoying (as any spam is) but it's an especially clueless sort of spam that discredits their whole position.

Andy Dingley

Hello geoff

Seems to be a misconfigured mail2news script. Dodgy things when they can't recognise a bounce message, or when the user has an autoresponder setup. :/

Reply to
Simon Avery

geoff wrote in news:RXTGwQHEr50$ snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com:

sort of...., ish,

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

In message , Andy Dingley writes

I suspect that rather than being done by Adbusters as such is a couple of dickheads doing it off their own back.

Or even, for conspiracy theory fans-being done by the targets of the campaign to discredit the campaign.. :-)

Reply to
chris French

In message , mike ring writes

Sorry, what I meant was it's not just me - didn't come out very well did it?

Reply to
geoff

nope, it's real.

Get yer hands on a small utility called NewsProxy. Can't remember where i got it from, but there is a FAQ published on rec.woodworking every week by David F Eisan & there are download and config instructions in that. They have loads of problems with someone spamming the group with race hate crap and stuff like that - this util makes the group readable again. It filters stuff out before your newsreader gets it with a fairly powerful rule-based config (newsreader pointed at loopback interface, proxy pointed at the news server).

Anyway, it works. Just amending my rules now...

Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

In the past, you might well have received email bounces for spam mail you never sent. This is exactly the same, except the sender in the spam was set to a mail2news gateway, pointing to this newsgroup, so the newsgroup is getting the bounces, etc. It was most likely a random selection from a list of harvested mail addresses.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Do dickheads not do it off their own bat?

Reply to
Suz