Is Dubbin Boots Good?

Someone has just told me applying dubbin is a bad thing for boots. Apparent ly it is not effective at waterproofing and shortens the life of the boots by making them too soft and rotting the stitching. Are they right? The boot s I had just dubbed and then polished were 'normal' leather not suede or an ything.

Reply to
chade

I've used Dubbin on my boots since I was in the school Combined Cadet Force back in 1965. I've never had any such problem and continue to do my boots and heavy walking shoes with Dubbin.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Nikwax is better IME.

Apply the liquid version to fully soak in to the seams.

Then used the can version applied with the fingers to give a very waterproof layer.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Dubbin has been used to waterproof and soften leather for centuries; since the Middle Ages, according to Wikipedia. Ask yourself if it would really have been used for so long if it did what you've been told?

Chris Hogg

Perhaps they had nothing better? A long time ago I used dubbin. Then I switched to Nikwax and found the latter better.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Better in what way ? From the web site it appears to just be for waterproofing and doesn't attempt to prolong the life of the leather.

Reply to
0hjk

It seems to soak in better and be less "grubby" and sticky afterwards.

I usually find the soles are gone before I worry too much about the uppers. OK - in the old days, one would get a boot resoled. These days - not really worth it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

200 quid pair of boots, 80 quid for a decent resole. It's worth it.
Reply to
Clive George

Sure, but how many buy 200 quid pairs of boots ?

Reply to
0hjk

Dubbin was good until about 30 yrs ago ... far better waterproofing products on the market. Problem with dubbin is it does not dry so dust & crap sticks to it ... and it softens the leather. Once you had a good pair of boots broken in ... you don't want to keep softening the leather ... as it loses support.

Mink Oil is similar.

NikWax is what I use, and is very good .... dry boots thoroughly & slowly, then put them in warm place .. apply Nikwax by hand and really work it into joint & seams

The warmth of hands will help penetration .... I then stick them in airing cipboard overnight so it all soaks in.,

If you are in a rush you can gently warm it with hair drier ... you will see it suck right into dry leather.

The water based paint of product by same manufacturer is useless.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Washing without soap was considered good for centuries as well. Things get formulated that are better.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Talking of which, anyone use saddle soap?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, on saddles and other horse tack. Cleans, softens, and makes them look nice. Not particularly water repellent, might use it on "show" boots but certainly not walking ones.

Reply to
newshound