Is Cabling up for Networking or Phone Systems Still Justified?

Well, I did, once you'd pointed out the bad pun...!

Yes, I heard he'd said that...but from a mutual frind of Postel's and mine (who also wrote a number of RFCs). He wrote the 'real' RFC 666 (whose number is not at all significant).

Reply to
Bob Eager

And in fact, it transpires that they aren't...as NAT has released HUGE blocks of addresses from large companies back to RIPE at al..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My employer still have their original /16....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

However, that brings a host (!) of issues of its own, with the NAT breaking end-to-end connectivity. NAT is an OK stopgap but makes some things difficult and others impossible.

IPv6 will restore end-to-end connectivity, with everyone able to use as many routable addresses as they need. I just wish we'd get on with it a bit quicker.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Precisely modern... Have external stacks come back? Can't say I pay much attention to modern pocket handkerchief and rabbit hutch estate housing.

In one of the cold winters in the early 80's some of the external waste pipe work at my rented Bristol flat froze up, simple reason dripping tap.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In event of major disaster Mobile Network would be turned off to all except Emergency Services SIMS ... so if something does go wrong, don't expect your mobile to work.

Reply to
Osprey

I have new Selfbuild and this has 2 internal stacks and no external stacks.

There was a Bld Reg change in early 70's which forced builders to put stacks inside (knee jerk reaction to a severe winter) .... this did not last long, and you can put them in or out ... planning permitting.

Reply to
Osprey

I've got a wireless network and then installed a cable network afterwards. The wireless one is brilliant and ideal for a laptop, but a cable is so much faster, but that's not all. It's much more versatile too.

If you've got equipment that works in one fixed position, then cable is usually the answer, mobile stuff obviously needs wireless.

My wife mentioned that she wanted to be able to hear the HiFi when she was working in our dining room and it was a doddle to distribute the audio ( and video too ) over a CAT5 line that was already there. I'm now thinking of adding more CAT5 lines to each room as I can see so many uses for them.

Reply to
Roly

You seem to be assuming that one gets to choose and specify the kit. In the real world many times the job is to "make that lot work" where the equipment has already been bought on price or advertising hype by people who have not done any research.

If the kit is all from one maker then that can make it easier, but there are times you can not get all the capabilities you need in all off the the different system components from one maker (and whos parts are all in stock concurrently with your suppliers)

When you are specifying and purchasing the kit then it falls to you to do the research. Here you run into another problem of getting the information required. It is frustrating how many vendors will omit information about how their configuration software works, and the key entry formats which are supported.

Maybe you are lucky, or don't do much of this sort of stuff.

I was not trying to put anyone off WiFi at all. I use it myself. However it has its unique limitations and problems, and in some cases is less suitable for the task than wired components. Hence back to the original question as to whether cable is still justified for phone and data systems. The answer is unarguably yes in some cases. In others you will be able to avoid it with wireless solutions.

Reply to
John Rumm

that's quite an assumption you've made there.

yes, like in the 'real world' 2 DSL installs I've done this year (so far) both have signed up to talktalk from carphone warehouse (?) and neither of them have thought about a router firewall despite me telling them both that they would need one and that talktalk were rubbish.

I've got another install to do next week (quick £50)

these days ? not as much as I used to do (daily, for several years) but enough to realise that pointing out the negatives of a technology doesn't negate the benefits of it. but I've never had any problems in searching out the positive elements of technology or finding workarounds for any issues I might encounter. YMMWV

Reply to
.

Well hardly, you did say "all of which can be avoided by doing proper research beforehand and RTFM/STFW once the correct purchase has been made.", which does seem to presuppose that one gets a look in beforehand.

I find you can really upset them by pointing out "but it is free!"[1] when they are going through the hell of trying to get TalkTalk to provide any service at all, or trying to get a MAC code out of them when they can't ;-)

[1] The phrase that I often hear in response to my warnings about the likely problems... still you get what you pay for.

Indeed it does not. I don't think I was pointing out just the negatives, more highlighting the areas in which wired solutions have advantages.

Reply to
John Rumm