Is an RCBO an adequate replacement for an isolator?

I use S/fix as a guide as they were highly competitive. Not so now.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That's what Space is for.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Doctor Drivel wibbled on Thursday 12 November 2009 21:59

That would be equally true of a radial that wasn't dedicated, and the overcurrent protection set accordingly, to a single appliance or class of appliance. In the most extreme case, a 32A radial is a "standard circuit", though rare due to being not so practical to implement.

Reply to
Tim W

Oh my God! He must eff off for his own good.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off as you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But it is interesting to consider the impact that unmetered electricity might have. Just how much electricity would we use if it were unmetered? I can imagine having a lovely warm greenhouse with grow lights to provide fresh fruit, vegetables and herbs all year round. (Carefully avoiding light spill, of course.)

But I suppose eventually we'd end up using so much that there would be literal global warming.

Reply to
Rod

You must eff off as you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A radial with only 8 sockets on it, maximum, and rated to 16A is safer when abused. Some appliances can be only protected by a 32A mcb.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please explain. Do you think a lighting outlet which is only fused at the CU somehow 'safer' than a 13 amp socket? Please demonstrate this with your finger...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not if we implement tidal lagoons in the Irish Sea and have very high insulation levels in homes to reduce heating demand then we can use it unmetered. Of course car will electric as will all trains. Then cars must be restricted from town and city centres.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Streetlighting supplies aren't normally metered, nor are supplies to, for example, cable TV cabinets. There's just an agreed payment to the leccy supplier.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

More bullshit from Drivel. Malta, an EU country uses BS1363, as does the Republic of Cyprus.

You must enjoy being wrong all the time, eh Drivel.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't think so really.

we don't breathe all the air do we? and that's free.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But we have finite lung capacity and a maximum rate at which we can breathe. With unmetered, you could always add a few kW of usage quite easily... Like at work where one person puts on a fan heater while the a/c is working flat out to keep it cool.

Reply to
Rod

... yet.

Unless we stop procreating like bacteria in Drivel's kitchen then we will soon breathe all the air.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But both those items use a predefined amount of electricity. A house is rather different. Nor could you judge the requirement on present consumption - if it were 'free' many would use it wastefully.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off as you are a plantpot

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This pervo needs tagging. He is a Gary Glitter fan.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This pervo needs tagging.

Reply to