is a gravity grille OK for boiler ventilation

Hi,

I am going to fit a vent in a door to increase the ventilation of my gas boiler.

Will a gravity grille be OK?

I know a grille that's fastenable shut wouldn't be OK. But how about one like this that blows open when needed and can't (short of putting sellotape over it) be stopped from doing so?

Thanks!

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

Does it need additional ventilation, is it a balanced flue?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

The service guy told me that the air brick up by the ceiling isn't enough and that there has to be 300mm^2 top and bottom. The only reasonable place to put a vent on that wall is in the door.

The boiler has got a conventional flue.

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

Harold Davis wrote in news:XnsA4E0767277849harolddavis@213.239.209.88:

I mean 3000mm^2!

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

I have an air brick in the outer wall at the level of the kicking board under the sink/cupboard units. Then there's a gap in the continuous plinth.

Reply to
Charles Hope

I don't think so. A gas vent must be unobstructed.

A flap vent would (presumably) only vent into the room, but any products of combustion blown back down the flue could accummulate in the room. With an unobstructed vent they could vent outward and not build up in the room.

IANACorgi :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'd have thought it would have to be permanently clear, besides wouldn't most of the gravity type operate the wrong way round, for exhaust rather than intake?

Reply to
Andy Burns

How about better/bigger air bricks?

Tim+