Is a combi boiler false economy?

Why? It's not difficult. There are bound to be problems with poorly installed pressurized systems too come to that - leaks for one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Clearly you have greater faith in the majority of people installing these systems. It is a lot harder to muck up a pressurised system. You are also much less likely to end up with a dangerous result, although obviously any system can be dangerous if done too incompetently.

Well leaks are common to all plumbing.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

No - I read some of dribble's postings and realise there are charlatans around. However, this is DIY and I installed my own. After taking advice.

I'm not aware of the 'dangers' of an open system - apart from one recently reported case, which was down to simple bodging on a number of fronts including not having obvious faults fixed. But then some sealed/pressurized systems - if this includes hot water - are known to be dangerous hence the restrictions on who is allowed to install them and the periodic safety checks needed.

Again only with poor workmanship.

I realise that sealed systems are the answer to some problems - mainly space related - but they aren't the panacea some make them out to be.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Like a pump on one tap. ROFLMAO

You did? ROFLMAO

Only from the uk.d-i-y Lunatic Association. Yes you read here.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Inhibitor is essential to open vented system in many area. Most people do not re-dose after 4 years.

A sealed system does not necessarily require the stuff, with the vast majority of systems getting away with it if none is installed. In fact too much of it, like in one bedroom flats having a full bottle which is good enough for a 5 bed house, and the expansion vessel diaphragm can perish - which often does. The inhibitor acts against rubber - an the O rings in the rad valves..

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You can get tablets for that. At your age it can't be good for you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd say that it's a point win to the sealed circuits. There is little to choose on reliability stakes between the two arrangements if the conventional system is correct. I.e the failed expansion vessels probably balance against the stuck shut float valves, the over flowing header tanks and the limescale plugs at the entrance to the circuit all of which are problems that can and do occur on correctly installed conventional systems.

However the the failure modes for incorrect conventional systems are multiple and severe.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Tablets to put on your tap as well. ROFLMAO.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel