Is 6 core alarm cable suitable for wiring a front door bell?

replying to Chip, c96 wrote: Just wanted to say I ran cat5 for my doorbell too, I liked the look of the old fashioned doorbell switch I didn't like the ugly sticking out wireless bells... I ran cat5 and used 2 of the wires to put an led in the switch, the led stays on and in the dark everyone can see where the doorbell is and where to push. I did buy a wireless doorbell to modify but didn't like any of the 10 silly tones it made i liked the loud ding dong that u can hear throughout the house...

Reply to
c96

Better 8 years late than never I suppose...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They've been outside, standing in the porch for 8 years, but the bell wasn't connected.

Reply to
GB

replying to GB, c96 wrote: I know it's an old thread but I dug it up and even though a little late it still shows up on Google results when I was searching for cable so I thought I would say that lol

Reply to
c96

As it happens, that's exactly what I used. Well, 6 core alarm and 6 core telephone. I've only used two pairs so far - one for the bell and one for the door release.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Might be a bit marginal if your run is long. Much smaller conductors than proper bell wire.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

6 core alarm is fine. Parallel the cores at each end preferably.

there's little point trunking it IMHO. Of course who know what may happen in future.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

oops!

Reply to
tabbypurr

The bell wire is carrying practically nothing. All it has to do is pull an input on an Arduino.

Reply to
Bob Eager

replying to tabbypurr, c96 wrote: I managed to hide the wire in the door frame and then under the carpet edges... goes to the centre of the house and works great, did buy some trunking but never used it. I dug up the old thread cos even though it was an old thread it was exactly what I was searching for on Google years after the original op so wanted to give future generations who might find this in 2024 hope that wires are excellent lol

Reply to
c96