ironmongery World, WTF

Today came though the post from these people, entirely unsolicited and without my having ordered it, what looks like a nice iron gate latch, heavily galvanised. There was no paperwork with it so I can't even be sure to be able to contact them to ask WTF this is all about.

Anyone ever heard of them? The only web site I found said that their website is "coming soon".

Reply to
Tim Streater

You've not allowed a cat near your keyboard with Amazon 1-click ordering enabled, perchance?

Andy Burns

Nice try :-)

We have two shiny new kittens who are not yet allowed anywhere near our kit. And in any case you get all sorts of emails from Amazon (well at least I do) when you order stuff. And there was no paperwork with it, that's the odd part.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That sounds like the voice of experience.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

With your name and correct address?

Reply to
Adrian

Might be worth contacting neighbours. What did the post code say?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Our Ben knows how to buy stuff on the computer. Anyone got a use for a crate of hand cream?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Might be worth contacting neighbours. What did the post code say?

Some years ago our warehouse took in a 26 pallet container from a supplier. It wasn't until they came to unwrap the 16th pallet they discovered it didn't contain the diaries expected but unbranded yet expensive looking electrical switchgear. Despite several faxes to the shipping agent we never did find out who they should have gone to. We did get credit for the missing diaries though!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

There is a building company based in a private house down our lane. The company is simply the name of the road, with "..Building Co." tacked on to the end. Neither the name of the company, nor the name of the house, are easily visible from the road. We often get deliveries, bills, etc for the company, as our house has the same name as the road, with "..House" instead of "..Lane". We used to accept stuff and then tell them, but it has got so bad, we now always refuse stuff, and send it back, marked "Insufficient address, not known here" or similar written on it. Then hopefully the suppliers will get the message that they need clear addressing for the things they send out. We did get a nice door-handle this way, once, though...

Reply to
Davey

it's not that odd I must have ordered at least 5

Reply to
whisky-dave

On the Jiffy bag, yes. And, en plus and to boot, they used what I would term our correct address and not the one that shows up if you do a postcode search. That gives us as living on xxx Road, whereas any map (printed or Google maps) shows our postcode as being on yyy Street. They used yyy Street on the Jiffy bag.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Correct postcode and my name.

Reply to
Tim Streater

A neighbour dropping a hint about the security of your gate?

Reply to
John Williamson

Or that it bangs in the wind and annoys them?

Reply to
Andy Burns

So that rules out it being intended for somebody else. Have you ever bought anything from 'em before?

Reply to
Adrian

I _like_ this idea. I might even be tempted to use it in the future...

Reply to
Adrian

:-)

Nah, it would bang shut, it's one of those 5-bar jobs. Anyway, their security light annoys *me*.

Reply to
Tim Streater

There is an ebay buy-it-now item I'm waiting for, which is a bit late.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think we have a winner. They've mixed the address labels up.

Reply to
Adrian

Yebbut, my ebay item comes from user surebargain. But hold on a mo though ...

Hmm, lessee now, visit shop, hmm, 1335 items, hmmm, blimey yes here it is they've sent a Galvanised Cast iron Cabin Hook & Eye Gate latch in sizes 4 6 8" instead of a Country Decorative old Design Toilet Roll Holder.

Well I wonder who got our loo roll holder.

Reply to
Tim Streater