Iron on carpet.

Some person has put down a hot iron on a plastic carpet. This has caused a melted patch on the surface. The "crust" is not very thick, and the melting not severe, 'though obvious. I guess that the fibres have been shortened by 0 to two millimetres.

Is there a way of camoflaging this iron-shaped mark? I was thinking of cutting the "cap" off with a very sharp knife, to reveal the un-melted surface underneath, or perhaps trying a sanding disk applied gently, perhaps using a frame to sand a maximum depth.

Anyone any ideas?

be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

Reply to
jerrybuilt

A sanding disk is likely to heat up/melt the carpet again.

No chance of moving the furniture?

David Hearn

Cut an irregular shape around the patch and then move a bed / sofa / bookcase and cut the same shape out from underneath the object and swap over the bits. It does work, but depends on the differential between the wear on the two bits of carpet. Apart from that, a lawnmower on a very low setting and do the entire carpet.... Jon

Reply to
Jon

Claim on the house insurance for a new carpet?

Reply to
Steve Harper

I was thinking of a new coarse disk on an electric drill, on speed#1 (slowest), to gradually wear off the crusty bit.

It's > Cut an irregular shape around the patch and then move a

It's a new bedroom carpet, & I've still got some off-cuts, so I could try that - however, if I do, then I can still experiment on the existing carpet, as it can't get a lot worse! Come to that, I could rest a hot iron on an off-cut, and experiment on that...

Heh. I was wondering about hair clippers, but the pile is quite tight (Wilton).

be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

Reply to
jerrybuilt

House contents insurance cover accidental damage, by any chance?

Reply to
Sam Nelson

Why not just claim on your insurance and get a new one?

Angela

Reply to
Angela

Well, firstly requires accidental damage cover.

Then there's the issue of whether the Contents insurer claims its not covered by contents and would be covered by Buildings Insurance, who then say that its actually a contents... ;)

Depending on the excess of the policy, it may not be worthwhile to claim, considing the likely increase in premiums, and if he could find an easy way of making good without calling in the insurers.

Ultimately, all claims get covered by other people's premiums, so if everyone made unecessary claims we'd all lose out.

But yes, I think in the end, if the damage is bad, accidental damage cover is in place and its worthwhile, then a claim may well be appropriate.

David Hearn

Can you have a go at it with a nice clean wire brush? I've done similar things in the past and it certainly helps to recreate the pile somehow and separates out any tops of the fibres that may have been fused together.

Not much you can do about the difference in length of fibres except perhaps try and reduce the contrast with the surrounding carpet, perhaps using an electric razor or a decent beard trimmer?

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

I did that to a wool carpet 8-10 years back, just left it, after about a year of wear you couldn't see it any more. Coarse sandpaper or a wire brush in the pile direction may help to separate the fibres and hide it, depends on the pile depth.

Reply to
Martin

In message , jerrybuilt writes

A rug ?

Hmm, don't seem to be able to read Thai anymore ... oh well

Reply to
geoff

Iron the rest of the carpet to match ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

is when one needs a new monitor due to laugh induced beverage damage.

Reply to
R W

ROFLMAO !!!!! Same here. :-))

Reply to