Iron Nail in Kettle

In another place, there has been a question about putting an iron nail in a kettle - and the person remembers grandparents having one.

The thought process of the person asking was whether this would help ensure sufficient iron intake. Not sure that sufficient would dissolve to make much difference. But I can't see it as being much of an issue either way.

My thought process was to question if it was there to provide sacrificial protection of an iron kettle.

I would be wary of using modern iron nails due to weird and wonderful compositions and platings that have been used.

Any comments or stories?

Reply to
polygonum

I would think they would use a bit of zinc or magnesium for sacrificial protection, like boat anodes.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Probably some old wives tale. There were lots about years ago. My mother firmly believed you caught scarlet fever from roadside gullies. And you caught a cold by having your feet/coat/hair etc wet. And soot was good for the garden.

Reply to
harry

Yes, it was available in great quantities and could be used as a fertiliser. The percentage was low but it was compensated for by the quantity available.

David

Reply to
David P

iron doesnt protect iron, at least not electrolytically.

Don't supplement with iron unless you need to, its not one of the safer ones.

Ironic that 2 of those are more or less true.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have heard of soot being used against slugs - I think you were supposed to make lines of it around the plants to be protected. Does it work? No idea.

Reply to
polygonum

Soot is of no nutritional value to plants whatsoever. But, as mentioned, is often used to deter slugs. It's main benefit though is to darken soil which makes the soil warmer by absorbing more heat from the Sun, enabling better/earlier root growth.

Reply to
Steve Eldridge

there is no doubt that a dormant virus is helped on its way by a general lowering of lung temeparutures.

It probably does no harm

And it probably does contain a good few minerals. It is after all ashes

- high in trace metals - combined with tar...which may or may not be good or bad depending.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Soot contains heavy metals & is the last thing you want on the garden.

Reply to
harry

Which 2?

Reply to
harry

Adequate sulphur is important for several agricultural crops.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

By altering the chemistry slightly, it *might* change the physical form of the lime deposits.

Reply to
newshound

I am reminded of the cabbages grown in back gardens in some northern town where the trace elements of heavy metals were sky-high.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

which ones?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

arsenic, beryllium, boron, cadmium, chromium, hexavalent chromium, cobalt, lead, manganese, mercury, molybdenum, selenium, strontium, thallium, uranium and vanadium, along with dioxins and PAH compounds

harry

The latter depends very much on the acidity of the soot!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Could it be that the nail rattles about and discourages the build up of lime scale?

mark

Reply to
mark

I thought the worst case was actually the cadmium levels from lead workings in Somerset

Reply to
newshound

"Shipham has the highest levels of cadmium in the soil anywhere in the UK. Cadmium is a toxic metal associated with old zinc mine workings. However, a study found that the cadmium in the soil is tightly bound up in minerals, and is not readily available for uptake by plants. It therefore does not enter the food chain and has no measurable effect on health."

Reply to
Huge