Iron blowing the RCD

I have had a good quality consumer unit fitted within the last 18 months. Before then I used to have an old fashioned one, first fitted when the house was built in 1989. The new one was fitted by a qualified electrical engineer who I have known and trusted for years.
With the old one using the iron would now and again blow the entire circuits.
The iron was replaced roughly at the same time as the consumer unit.
With the new one, which is fitted with MCBs and an RCD, when using the new iron, the RCD will trip intermittently. Sometimes I can be ironing for half an hour or so before it goes and sometimes it will trip almost as soon as I switch it on.
Before I call my electrician back, does anyone know if there is a simple possible reason for this? It's such a pain having to reset all the clocks/timers etc. Still I suppose it's better than dying painfully!!!
--
Anita

On 28/01/2004 Anita Friel opined:-

The simple reason is that your iron is faulty. It has sufficient leakage between live and the earth to trip the RCD, which is exactly what the RCD is designed to do.
Steam irons do tend to be over filled, which might be be the cause of your problem, otherwise take it back where you bought it.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:23:09 +0000, Anita Friel wrote:

Have a search in this group first. This discussion was here only days ago.

Yes, water leaking inside the iron, or perhaps careless filling or overfilling, such that water gets into the live parts. Irons are also prone to flex failure where the flex enters the iron, and I suppose some failure modes here might trip an RCD.
Ideally, you want to get the iron PAT tested, and perhaps disassembled and inspected internally. Probably much cheaper to just buy a new one.
One other thing, try a similar or higher load device in the same socket outlet such as a kettle. There is a very remote chance that a neutral/earth wiring fault in the installation might trip the RCD only on high current draw (usually such a fault will trip an RCD with just about any load).
--
Andrew Gabriel

Your problem is your iron. I had the same problem 12 months ago, only the iron tripped the MCB. Replaced the iron not a trip since, not even the self induced ones!
HTH
John