Irn Bru stain removal

Google reveals that this topic came up only last month but I couldn't see any sign of any solution to this problem.
Has anyone found a solution since then? I've contacted the makers but they weren't a lot of use (just suggested I try Kirby cleaners in Glasgow).
Tim
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:00:57 -0000, "Tim Downie"

What's it on ? If it's on timber, try oxalic acid (Barkeeper's Friend, which can usually be found in Sainsburys). This might fix it on oak, but it won't lighten darkened maple.
Irn Bru is a near-impossible stain to remove. It doesn't usually stain, but when it does, it's about as permanent as you can get.

Well, they'll have local knowledge of the problem 8-)

Hi Tim, nice to see you here. I vaguely remember a thread from some time ago where a solution was given but can't remember what it was. You could try searching more widely.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:00:57 -0000, "Tim Downie"

People who imbibe concoctions made from girders should not be fussy about minor things like stains ;-) Have you tried rust remover ?
[I can't defend this stuff, even as a Scot. It is *disgusting*...]
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...
Hi John Laird In removethis< you wrote:

But it's great for curing (or at least obscuring) hangovers. ;-)
--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk /

I'd rather stay (and feel) drunk. It goes in the same pigeonhole as Vimto, root beer, Dr Pepper, Vanilla Coke, etc etc.
Excuse me, I'm just off to make a proper pot of tea...
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...

Up here in the run up to Hogmanay the supermarkets start promotions for multipacks of 2litre bottles.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
Peter Ashby wrote:

In safeway, they're often selling crates of 24 cans for 3.99 each. I usually buy 2 or 3 of these.
I think the regular reduction in pricing might have something to do with aggressive Coke marketing in Scotland as it's one of the very few places on this Earth where they have not always been number one (infact Irn Bru was no.1 in Scotland until this year).
Coke is quite often reduced to 69p or on 2 for 1 or 1.99 for 12 packs of cans in Safeway and I think the Irn Bru specials are just a knee-jerk response to this to try and retain their number one spot.
RM

I'm sure there is something of this but the promotions in the week between xmas and hogmanay are a regular thing. I suspect it will take at least a generation to change its reputation as a hangover cure, and you can now buy cocktails made with it in the bars, my daughter tells me. I suspect Barrs will also benefit from anti US feeling post Iraq too. Hmm, IrnBru, the ethical choice ;-)
I hear the Russians like it too, Barrs opened a bottling plant there a few years ago, now there is a potential growth market in need of new hangover cures.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
Hi John Laird In removethis< you wrote:

Milk and no-sugar for me, ta ;-)
--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk /

Well as a Scot who emigrated too young to have been brought up on it but since returned I have developed a liking for it. I had a can at lunch in fact.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:07:45 +0000, John Laird

AFAIK, it has only one saving grace for a canned drink. It improves gradually with going flat, so it's not too awful for drinking in the car..
Changing the subject, is "Red Cola" another Scottish soft drink or is it available in other parts of the UK?
Ah the memories... a roasting hot fish supper washed down with red cola after being at the pictures ("cinema")... bliss.
Mungo
Mungo Henning wrote:

and a deep fried mars bar for afters...? ;o)
RM

Ha! As if I would drink the wretched stuff! Daughter number one to blame on this occasion.
Last time ot happened (children's party) we *did* try rust remover but a gander at the Irn Bru FAQ reveals that the iron content is very very low and it's the E110 and other gubbins that's to blame for the staining. Fortunately on that occasion, it occured on a sacrificial carpet.

Agreed.
Tim
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:50:39 -0000, "Tim Downie"

Huh; ye pair o' mammy's boys. It was IrnBru made me what I am today.
--
Red Tash.