Irish wiring regulations

I understand from an Irish local electrician that domestic lightin

circuits always have the line in going to the switch first NEVER to th light fitting. In the UK we use loop in loop out method and the devic is switched from the loop in the ceiling rose to the switch and back t the device. IE in Ireland the light fitting is dead until the switch i "on" so only two wires to each fitting/device. I am not an electrician (obviously) but what are the implications a the Irish follow EEC rules. Is the UK system outside EEC regulations?

-- freddyuk

Reply to
freddyuk

There are many differences. We all use different styles of plugs, for example. And final ring circuits aren't the norm in the EU either. BC lamp fittings are really only UK too. Etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

AFAIK There are no EEC regs for domestic wiring (thank goodness)

Reply to
Mike Harrison

The EU rules don't go down into that level of detail, and neither do UK's, which would be happy with either method you describe. Irish wiring regs are broadly similar to the UK regs, but I don't know them in enough detail to say if they require the specific layout you suggest. (BTW, the EEC long since became the EC and then the EU.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just the harmonised colours, I'd guess?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ireland uses the same plugs as we do - and BC lamp fittings.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Indeed, but the question was about EU regs - or rather lack of them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
.

(BTW, the EEC long since became the EC and then the EU.)

Reply to
freddyuk

But they wire the BC lamp fittings with reversed phase and neutral compared to us.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Plug fuses go the other way round, too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

And the yellow and green stripes on the earth conductor are interchanged.

Reply to
Guy King

Didn't you get the memo? Or have you just retreated into a denial-mode? For better or worse - you are currently a member citizen of the 'European Union'. Look at your passport, (I had to relinquish my treasured Blue passport after extending it for as long as feasible]. Ministers of the Crown - nominally acting for and on behalf of HM Queen Elizabeth II herself one of The 'High Contracting Parties' - signed the Maastricht Treaty formally establishing the Union. The ECC, the EC and its forebears are deceased, no more. The 'deceased forbears' are what the majority of the Maastricht Treaty text is about consisting (mostly) of 'where it says in para n of treaty x, it now reads para z of treaty y'. Get with it, become emotionally involved , the Union is extant. - or the Thought Police might serve you with an ASBO,

_It_ is an economic community too, otherwise why do I see all these 'foreign' trucks clogging up our motorways? The EU along with it's EEA (look it up) members constitute a very large economic community. I assume that you are not involved in exporting any products nor purchasing any 'input' products?

As for common agenda, is this the only criteria for a Union? Is the agenda of the USA corn-growing states identical in all respects to the agenda of the desert states? Is the agenda of Alaska identical to that of the energy-importing states? Is the agenda of Nevada identical to that of the Bible-belt states? IHMO, the answer is "no"! Therefore according to your criteria the USA is not a union.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

That's so the electrons can fall more easily to 'the ould sod' ( = Earth).

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

No I didn't. Please don't misattribute your comments to me.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I hate to tag on to the end of my own post .... but what the hell :) Browsing through the Speed-Fix catalogue ... as one does ... I came across a genuine 'Irish Adaptor'! From puzzling whaat the device does, it seems that Ireland/Eire is still using 1/2" and 3/4" guage piping { I suppose fienian plumbers would get apoplexy before they'd say 'Imperial'} . Speedfix does a

3/4"> 22mm Imperial/Metric adaptor .... you couldn't make it up!
Reply to
Brian Sharrock

The message from "Brian Sharrock" contains these words:

The mains water piping on many of the houses in the southern bits of Telford have Imperial sized plastic. A right bastard if you happen to snap one on a Sunday 'cos only one plumber in town seems to stock the thing to convert to 15mm copper.

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Brian Sharrock" saying something like:

It's not the same as Imperial 1/2" and 3/4". The difference is slight, but it's there all the same. Most new builds are metric now, but there's still a healthy trade in the older sizes for general work.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The UK uses rings not radial circuits. Although not mandatory. Apart from lighting circuits, ring circuits need fuses in the plugs, which are essential in ring circuits. Many people who go to Spain and fit rings and fuseless Spanish plugs get their supplies cut off as the appliance is then protected by a 40A mcb at the fusebox. In lights. Cable from the mcb at the fuse box, to the first rose, the next rose, etc, back to the same mcb. A wire from the each rose to the wall switch. Ireland did have the ring circuit as de-facto standard. The UK is virtually alone using rings, and virtually alone using cold water tanks and cylinders (as does Ireland).

The UK regs are the strictest in the world. Rings and radials can be used in any EU country. The problem with most is not having fuses in the plugs as standard precluding rings.

Rings are cheaper, using less cable and thinner cable overall.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Uk lighting circuits are NOT ring circuits. Radial circuits are used in the UK. I think you should stop giving duff advice.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Lighting circuits in the UK are radial, not rings.

These must be your relations if they have so little knowledge of electrics and insist on bodging.

BTW, the fuse in the plug isn't to protect the appliance. It's to protect the wiring from the plug to it. If the appliance requires protection it must have its own fuse separate to that. Oh - UK rings are protected at 32 amps, not 40.

1/10 - must try harder.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)