iPad remote cameras

Today I was using a cheap (ebay £10) USB 'drain inspection camera' - a 10 mm or so diameter USB camera on a long lead very effectively to locate a hydraulic leak on a JCB, using my laptop.

But it occurred to me it would be far more convenient if I had something similar connected to my iPad 3 - is there something similar ? Either plugging into the native (wide) ipad connector or some converter that gives USB compatibility. No doubt a ap is needed.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , at 19:56:08 on Fri, 12 Jun

2015, Andrew Mawson remarked:

The cable something like this:

But first check that the iPad's alleged 100mA is enough.

ps Most widgets described as a "Camera connector" are card readers for the memory card out of a camera.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I don't think the iPad would recognise a USB webcam, just not the sort of thing Apple want their customers to bother with ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , at

09:43:12 on Sat, 13 Jun 2015, Andy Burns remarked:

An outfit called Exo-Labs had a webcam that you fitted to a microscope and then used an iPad to see the images, with an App. They've closed now though, but it demonstrates it's possible.

Roland Perry

I'm amazed that someone hasn't written an app for Android yet, USB microscopes are very useful but it would be so much nicer to be free of the laptop.

This is the nearest that I have found

A bit too much to pay for a toy.

Reply to
newshound

It does look to be a very neat solution though if it works - just I'm working at a different level of magnification so would have to faff about with lenses I suppose.

What I don't understand is the bit about to provided 'ap' which is on a CD - how the heck to you get that onto an iPad ???

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It says the instructions are on the CD, the app is in the Apple store...

Reply to
Andy Burns

So much for speed reading :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , at

20:24:50 on Sun, 14 Jun 2015, newshound remarked:

Someone I met at the weekend said his iPad could be used as the viewfinder for his regular camera, via wifi he thought. That approach would require a wifi-drain-inspection-camera, of course.

Reply to
Roland Perry

My GoPro activity camera can be controlled wifi from the ipad when it has the wifi 'back' installed. All a bit of a palaver and it sets up it's own network, so the ipad gets disconnected from the outside world and has to connect to the GoPro network.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I can control my Panasonic Lumix camera via wi-fi on my android smart phone. The camera transmits back the veiwfinder data to the phone.

Available from Google Play store

alan_m

In message , at 00:59:00 on Wed, 17 Jun 2015, alan_m remarked:

Yes, that's the camera my friend has.

Reply to
Roland Perry

This is very common now. Lots of the newer digital cameras have wifi and nfc.

Reply to
fred

Yes my EOS M3 does that.

and you can use a Raspberry Pi + camera module adn use an ipad to control it using an app called berrycam.

Reply to
whisky-dave