iPad 2

Got iPAD, MacBook, iMac plus several non-Apple laptops and several varied guest devices over the years - all have worked excellently together. Using an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router. Unlike most other such kit, I get told of firmware updates which always apply with no fuss. It was one of the easiest (perhaps absolutely the easiest) router I have ever configured.

For devices with stupidly placed aerials they work very well indeed.

And rumour has it that in future they will call if WiFi instead of Airport. How's that for following standards? :-)

Rod

Reply to
polygonum

Couldn't be arsed to google when I wrote that and that particular memory cell seems have suffered a failure.

"Which frequency range is HomePlug AV using? Does HomePlug have any plans to use higher frequencies (e.g. above 30 MHz) and if not, why?

HomePlug AV uses frequencies in the range of two to 28 MHz. The IEEE

1901 standard extends this range optionally to 50 Mhz. HomePlug AV2 will utilize additional frequencies above 30 MHz to increase throughput."

> That would be a neat trick, given the published data rates.

If you are thinking that to carry 100MBps of data you need a 100MHz carrier think again. Each transition can carry more than one bit of information and these are spread spectrum transmissions as well. Something approaching 1000 individual carriers in the case of Homeplug.

Is this wide area powerline stuff or the domestic house and not much further powerline comms?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The report I remember was domestic house PLC and only looked at in-house interference in a small number of trial properties (two, IIRC).

I think I misquoted it somewhat though. It was investigating FM interference on the domestic radio bands, rather than 2.4GHz WLAN, but the limited trials they did found that house powerline networking could and did interfere, in one case seriously, with radio reception. The WLAN bit was, I think, in either an appendix or a commentary, but wasn't tested at that time (a couple of years ago).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

You possibly missed the bit where I said that not using frequencies above *1MHz* would be a neat trick, and the published spec in your link goes to 28 times that, with an option to go to 50MHz. Each carrier may have a bandwidth below 1MHz, but the aggregate contains frequencies up to 28 or 50 MHz.

Multiple bits per transition is not a new trick, it's been used since the days of 56K modems, if not before.

It seems that the homeplugs are carrying 200MBps of data. They say they use between 2 and 28MHz. If they're using spread spectrum, then the bandwidth of each carrier can be reduced, but the overall bandwidth stays the same, surely?

I'm glad that I don't use LW, MW or SW AM radio nowadays. Homeplugs have been reported as wiping out reception of weak stations for quite a distance from the installation. Twisted pair ethernet doesn't, especially the shielded stuff.

Reply to
John Williamson

Way before in fact... Everything from V22 onwards which achieved

1200/1200 bps full duplex using a 600 baud symbol rate with a 2:1 bit per symbol encoding.

Most of the complaints seem to have been about wiping out DAB, however trampling over pretty much the whole of the HF band will no doubt upset some! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, here's where we are....

Spent several hours there. His Virgin supplied Netgear router looked fine in most settings toa non-expert like me, Running inSSIDer on my laptop nearby showed that he was on a clean wifi channel, with 4 other routers nearby on a very well separated channel. However, the signal strength appeared to randomly drop to zero.

The later firmware version from Netgear's site was not recognised and wouldn't install. After trying many variations of WPA, tried another router piggy backed as an access point and that seemed to give a solid signal.

We then switched off the Homeplug networking, and the iPad connected when the router showed on inSSIDER, not when it didn't.

At this stage rang Virgin support, who tried remote control of the router and agreed it was faulty. They will replace it.

After this tried taking the Netgear back to basics ie no security and with the Homeplug out got a solid iPad signal and set up his email, Skype etc.

The Homeplug is not close to the router, but there is obviously some sort of interaction. Looking at the inSSIDer time graph showed a consistent wifi signal with the Homeplug switched off, and a graph like a very slow sawtooth with it on.

He has a huge assembly of loose mains boards, some of which say they have some sort of filtering, so I'm wondering if trying to get the new router when it comes onto some sort of filtered mains might be a good idea.

If it is, what sort of filter should he be looking for?

Reply to
Bill

In message , Bill writes

Also, if you haven't already, try different channels. Some will work better in some situations depending on what else is about.

My wifi used to drop out in the kitchen at times, eventually realised it was interference from the microwave, swapping channels solved it

Reply to
chris French

It certainly does. I've currently got virtually all frequencies wiped out between 1.8 and 30 MHz. Not just weak stations too!

There's a little leakage from that. My IPcam gives a little hash from its ethernet connection, about 40dB down on what I get fron a neighbour's homeplug 30 metres away, and 30 dB down on someone else about 200 metres away.

I'm awaiting Ofcom's assistance on the homeplug.

Reply to
<me9