IP camera and IR LEDs

Hello,

A few weeks ago I posted about using an IP camera as a baby monitor and commented that it didn't do so well in low-light conditions.

Due to a fault with my ISPs news servers I've had to unsubscribe and re- subscribe to all groups and I've lost all the posts.

Someone suggested that I place some IR LEDs in the room to improve things in zero light. I would like to learn more about this but don't have a vast amount of time, therefore can anyone tell me about it here or point me to a web resource?

The camera is a linksys WVG54C. A supplier of LEDs might also help.

Thanks

Reply to
Jon

Ebay's a good place for LEDs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and above is invisible so no red glow.

hth

Reply to
.

That should never be a problem.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reply to
Graham

An IF lamp will be a lot more use than an array of Leds.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

in article snipped-for-privacy@text.usenet.plus.net, Jon at snipped-for-privacy@jonparker.plus.com wrote on 3/10/06 13:47:

Black and white CCD cameras are very sensitive to IR light (colour CCDs usually have IR-block filters in front of them).

This looks useful to you:

(though from HK)

Reply to
Ben Micklem

He can use a TV remote to get an idea of sensitivity. Obviously a colour camara is only going to yeild a B&W (well monochrome to be precise) image.

Reply to
Graham

The message from Jon contains these words:

Not always. Some (many) cameras have an IR filter over the back of the lens or the front of the sensor. You can prise this off and then you'll have really good IR sensetivity, but daylight images will look a bit odd.

Reply to
Guy King

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.com declared for all the world to hear...

This sounds like a plan. SO I stick the camera in the room and turn all the lights off, then point my sky remote at it and see how brightly it lights up?

If I can see a white dot coming from my remote then an IR lamp or LED array will "illuminate" my room in the dark?

Reply to
Jon

The message from Jon contains these words:

Yes. But even those with IR filters can do that - it's just that if you take the filter off it's much brighter.

Reply to
Guy King

That was me :) Have you seen those external CCTV cameras that plug into your TV? They do a variant of that which consists of the camera element in the centre and a ring of IR LEDs around the outside (about 8 of them I recall), these seem to do the job quite well. Could cannibalise one of those, but the quickest and easiest way is to get some IR LEDs from Ebay, hook em up in parallel, put a current limiting resistor on the positive side, then hook up to a suitable powersource (which you may be able to parasite from the camera). Quick guide here:

Hellraiser

This module works well:

's an Aussie firm but they do supply to the UK.

Reply to
gruneecaig

All you need for night vision here.

The3rd Earl Of Derby