IP cam & port forwarding

I've got a cheap IP camara from China and been trying to set it up over the last few days. The home network is a

192.168.1.n with the cam set at n= 99 and using port1533

Camera works OK and I can see it from Win7, iMac, iPod touch and iPad. Not brilliant but for a first cam I'm reasonably pleased,

BUT how to view /reset /amend settings when I'm away from home?

So far, on alarm setting, the camera detects motion and sends me an email (via no-ip DNS) with pics and a clickable link. The link gives my current IP address (correctly ) as

81.185.n.n:1533, so far so good. But clicking the link times out with a 'the server isn't responding' message.

The D DNS seems OK as its changed twice since last week following line problems.

In my Router settings >Networks >NAT > 'Port Translations' I've got :- NAME : mycam PROTOCOL : both (options are TCP, UDP, both) TYPE : port (Options are Port or Range) EXTERNAL PORTS : 1533 DESTINATION IP ADDRESS : 192.168.1.99 DESTINATION PORTS : 1533

I've also got DMZ enabled for 192.168.1.99 to allow access from internet, but disabling it does not seem to make any difference.

a port scan shows that 1533 is open and accessible.

I think I've understood the translated camera (chinese) and the router (french) instructions, but I've obviously missed

*something*

Can anyone help please?

John Mulrooney

Reply to
JTM

JTM has brought this to us :

I'm on a dynamic ISP issued IP. My German (Chinese made) camera comes with what I think you are lacking - It allows me to set up an account with the manufacturers web site, which keeps a constant record of the latest dynamic IP. I'm guessing what happens is that the camera constantly reports my ISP's IP to the site, then when I try to log into the camera it logs in via the manufacturers site.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have seen this problem using the Meye apps for camera viewing. I suspect you are possibly using a non optimal app. I found EZeye to work correctly with Android and i devices. Using IE the system has always worked. The ddns system always works correctly IME.

Reply to
Capitol

It looks like you have the right forwarding settings.

You may also need to add a rule to the routers firewall however to allow the inbound traffic.

I would not bother with DMZ settings.

You could temporarily change your forward rule to point at a PC rather than the camera. Then run wireshark on that, check that the router really is forwarding the incoming connection.

Also check to see if the router has any logging capability. You might find that it can record useful information.

Reply to
John Rumm

Mm... have you tried a direct connection to that port with e.g. telnet?

It does look like port 1533 is open, but that isn't enough.

Suggestyou do a 'view source' on the actual picture link when you CAN see it to see whether it actually includes something else.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What mobile device are you using? Mobile ports frequently use port 100.

Reply to
Capitol

Where are you running the test from? The same location as the camera?

Many routers don't support something called 'NAT loopback' (or variations thereof). Whilst the router is able to port forward from the WAN to the LAN it might not be able to do this for LAN clients. What router is it?

It'd be worth checking from somewhere else, even just a mobile using its GSM connection (i.e. not your local wifi).

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Mobile devices can, and do, use the same range of ports as any other device.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Is this link of any use?

Capitol

Is that address correct? Mine is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.ccc then the port. I find it is necessary to input all the digits in order to have the thing work.

Reply to
Capitol

Those pesky Chinese with their 40 bit IP addresses huh!

Reply to
Andy Burns

OOPs My error. Only 4 groups.

Reply to
Capitol

Yep

SFR (in France)

This seems to have been the problem. got the camera to trigger an alarm email to daughter in UK and while I spoke to her by phone she logged in. Thanks everyone!

Now I can check the place out on iPad or iPod touch when I'm away from home

John

Reply to
JTM

So now you get a ruined holiday as well as a burgled house. Great ;-)

Reply to
Graham.