Ionizer & matt emulsion

Talking to someone today who had bought an Ionizer. Within a few weeks of using it, the matt magnolia emulsion on the nearby walls has gone a dirty grey/blackish colour. Nearer the ioniser the worse it was.

New one on me, anyone heard of this effect before?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It is dust. The air bourne dust is electrostatically charged and is now sticking to surfaces

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes.

Airborne particles are attracted to the electrode in an effect similar to static electricity. These ions are de-ionized by seeking earthed conductors, such as walls and ceilings. Some commercial [ionisers] provide such surfaces, which then are triggered to warn the end-user to clean and/ or replace the "dirt" trap. Heavier combined particles may precipitate (fall) out of the air.

Owain

Yup. Ended up having to redocorate the room as a result. The really, really fine dust gets into the texture of the paint and won't wash off without putting a seriously odd looking 'shine' on the paint.

Ioniser was binned. Never again.

Al.

Reply to
Al

Yep, I've got one on the bedside table - supposedly to help with my asthma but reducing airbourne dust. Certainly removes the dust - it's no on the wall and the lampshade is spectacularly dirty.

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Ah. They tried to wash it off & made it look worse. Does another coat of emulsion cover it up?

Thats what they have done :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yep. (IME)

I've found that the Dulux "real life" emulsion is much better. Can be really scrubbed at without going shiny or losing all of it's pigment.

Heh, I think mine helps so I've lived with it. Probably in my mind really but...

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Used also to happen with CRT televisions. Same reason. Not sure why, but it seemed worse with very old B&W sets.

Reply to
Rod

When I lived by myself I used to have a home-made kit one by my bed. Had it sitting on a cloth that could be stuck in the washing machine, but everything in the area got progressively dirty.

"wiring" the electrode into the soil of a "live" chrismas tree was always fun, every needle became an emitter but those that touched the wall and ceiling left the tell-tale sings of thier use.

Had to stop using it once I wasn't living by myself. Some folks prefer to breathe in the crap and let their lungs sort it out rather than seeing it stuck to the walls and furniture.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Yes, common. Easiest (partial) fix is a mains-powered ioniser with a good earthed plate in front of it. This catches the crud, in preference to random furnishings.

Otherwise one with a fan. These keep the ions inside the case, discharging them at the outlet grille. Doesn't have the same "sea breeze" effects, but they work as electrostatic air cleaners.

Reply to
Andy Dingley