Ionisation electrode

I'd like to see you make it work without the flame.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It's not something I claim to have known about before geoff mentioned it, but it encouraged a bit of googling ...

It seems it stems from the burning of gas ionising it, so you've got some free electrons available, if you try to pass A/C between the base of the flame and the tip, it'll happen more readily in one direction than the other, you detect the conduction varying with the phase (rather than just conduction itself, or lack of it).

On the other hand, what's wrong with a thermocouple?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ask anyone whose boiler won't light on Christmas Eve. ;-).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thermocouple failure is one of the most common things to stop a boiler working, IMHO. At least in my case just cleaning the electrode (or more likely the insulator) got it working, which is a bit cheaper. And it's rather easier to remove/replace.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When boilers became efficient they needed fans to push the combustion gas out because there was no convection. They also had no pilot light and had to be lit every time they fired.

The danger was that the gas valve might pass gas and on ignition, the boiler would be full of gas and explode. This couldn't happen when there was a permanent pilot light as any gas leak would be quietly burned off. So the boiler has to be purged (with air)on start up to clear any gas. The ionisation detector detects the flame. If there isn't one when there should be, the boiler goes to lockout. (And gas is cut off) The detector is tested before start up on every occasion and can only fail "safe".

Reply to
harry

There are many ways to ionise the air/gas.

Reply to
dennis

I've got a spare ... might take me until Boxing Day to find it though...

Reply to
Andy Burns

You name is drivel - AACMFP!

(Who else has a spare boiler?)

Reply to
polygonum

Read it again. If he can't find it until Boxing Day I rather think he means a thermocouple, not a whole boiler!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I thought it might be hidden behind the hacksaws.

Reply to
polygonum

Sorry - was out till after midnight SCUBA diving last night

looks like andy posted an article that gives adequate explanation

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

I read it as implying that the detectable imbalance in current flow was due to size choices for the electrodes rather than ions only flowing in one direction.

I could easily be mistaken:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The way I see it, it also depends on the electrodes. A flame wil not rectify just by being a flame.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Which one would you recomend for a domestic boiler?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Well I suppose just letting it squirt out of the jets would rip a few electrons from the gas, though not much compared to burning it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

50 MW plasma arc, or a very fast angle grinder.
Reply to
dennis

You will need some car body filler to hold those in place.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q