Inverter quality.

1500w 12v DC to 240v AC at just under 22 quid; is it too good to be true?

Weatherlawyer

Presumably taking 140A from a car 'cigarette' lighter socket!

Or flattening the average car battery in a very short time using the alternative leads.

The device is probably specified as peak power during the spikes on the "modified output sine wave"

Reply to
alan_m

Not going to run a lot on 1.5kw though are you. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It looks like the 12V cable would melt at 1500W (well over 100A).

Reply to
dennis

Work of pure fiction. Chinese watts must be 10x SI watts.

See note 1. It is guaranteed to work for perhaps at most 10 minutes from new and will promptly expire if you try to use at "rated" power.

Reasonable ones rated ~300W can be had for about that sort of price and that is a more realistic current draw from a car battery/cig lighter.

Try Amazon for ones that might actually work at a decent price.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

That is peak power, and not continuous thermal power.

In all probability its good for about 500W.

If you want to put 25A through a car ciggy lighter be my guest.

Mine is fused at 15A !!!!!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Modified sine wave is a 2 step square wave that some things dont like.

Decent inverters can output a true sine wave but cost goes up a bit

Adam Aglionby

ahh, searching on pure sine brings up the cheaper end of the market, trust me 100A+ needs thicker input copper

Adam Aglionby

No, it doesn't. Depends on how long and how much drop is tolerable

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah yes the Amazon experience so much more pleasant to work from them. But at least their slaves aren't well fed!

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

In practice it's how much heat the insulation will stand is the limiting factor. Also ambient tempersture and cooling.

Reply to
harry

The cheapest pure sine wave one I can find from a reputable source is

300w for 60 squid
Reply to
GB

TBH the supplied strap looks more like a fuse for the item than a supply cable.

Experience tells me that by the time the insulation is fuming off , voltage drop and T copper is already a problem ;-)

Reply to
Adam Aglionby