Intumescent strip: channelled into the door ?

Regarding intumescent strip for use with fire doors: Is there any reason why I can't inset it into the edge of the door rather than in the frame? Would this still comply with building regs? Unfortunately the door frame is made of hard MDF and very difficult to remove for routing.

Many thanks

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G

That's exactly where mine is and the BCO signed it off.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

AFAIK there is no specific requirement to set it into the frame - I believe the fire/smoke-delaying requirements just apply to a closed door. I could be wrong though!

If nobody comes up with a definitive answer I think this would be one of those queries best put to the BCO directly; the regs might be open to different interpretation in different areas of the country, or even between different BCOs in the same office (been there, done that!). So a quick phone call would set your mind at rest.

David

Reply to
Lobster

It's fine, possibly better than in the frame. Only trouble is, IRTA "into the floor". Um!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Most firedoors seem to come with it mounted in the top - but often not the sides. You can route it into the sides of the door, or you can do without them and make the door stops >= 25mm deep instead ASUI.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , Dave G writes

Why not just paint the edge or the frame with intumescent paint, it does exactly the same job and can be the same colour as the rest of the woodwork

Reply to
David

Whoo-doggie! That sounds too easy! I never knew the stuff existed, but thanks for the tip.

What I've ended up doing was using 25mm door stops, and the mandatory

3mm-minimum gap, and bugger-all else. If the Buildings inspector orders me to install intumescent strips, it's no biggie to unscrew the door and inset the said strip... or indeeed, paint with your abovementioned paint...

Thanks to all for the help on this one. Gotta keep the grey-faced beurocrats happy, right??

Dave G.

Reply to
Dave G