Intruder Alarm Service assitance please

Hello Group I need to remove a connection to an old non-working external sounder from my existing control panel (Scantronic 9651) and , to do so, need to remove mains power. Since I will need to remove a tamper connection I would also prefer to remove battery power as well. I have the engineer code available. The remaining siren is a Texecom Odyssey, configured as SAB, and has their 'patented hold off mode' I have used this before...basically you activate the strobe from the control panel 3 times in 30 seconds and then open the bell box. This is supposed to ensure the siren/strobe do not operate whilst working on it or the panel. The last time I did some work on the panel when I reconnected the mains supply the siren immediately started sounding and continued for its maximum 15 minutes. The bellbox cover was still not in place. Does anyone know how to re-apply battery and mains power after I've removed the connections to the old sounder without causing a full alarm, please?

TIA Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
Ian

I suggest you do the following....

Put the external sounder into it's 'patented hold off mode' then put the panel into engineering mode

Now go up to the external sounder, open it, and disconnect it's internal battery

power down the panel, and disconnect the backup battery.

disconnect cables to the external box, in the panel

loop a wire between 0v and TR in the panel, so the panel still thinks the sounder is connected

close the panel up, and restore the mains power

put the panel into engineering mode

open the panel, and reinstall battery

close panel and take out of engineering mode.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

After re-reading, I realise you have two external sounders - are you replacing the broken one, or are two of them wired up together?

If they are wired together, and you are removing one, then you need to make sure the anti-tamper circuit is left in tact.

Reply to
Toby

Hi The Odyssey range can be reset to installer mode . Disconnect NiCad battery from bell disconnect 12v supply from panel . Reconnect NiCad,bell should sound for 10secs then go into engineers mode . You can now reconnect the 12v supply. To arm the unit simply replace the cover and activate the bell.

You should find the user/eng sheet for the Odyssey here.

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

Hi Toby/cj,

Thank you both for advice so far. If I could clarify and pick your brains further 'twould be appreciated....

Yes, there are two sounders...the Texecom and an old (now non-working) Master Blaster very loud siren which I am removing and not replacing. It is conected to a different output but that output is programmed to follow the Texecom.

I think the key point that I have previously missed is to remove the internal battery connection in the Texecom temporarily. I think I can see that a slight modification to the process should indeed work....i.e

1)Put sounder in hold off mode 2)Open up sounder and disconnect internal battery 3)Power down panel and remove backup battery 4)Remove all connections to Master Blaster 5)Ensure Tamper Circuit connections at the panel are all made

at this point the covers are still off the panel and the Texecom, and no power is applied anywhere.

Now, according to the Texecom instructions - and I THINK this is what cj is suggesting- I can use the "Optional Battery First" connection method. This states that "Hold-Off mode cancels when both the tamper circuit is closed and power is supplied from the panel. This allows installation engineers to power the unit from the internal battery and fit the outer cover knowing that the unit cannot self-activate until after power has been supplied from the panel"

Now, I'm not quite sure how to interpret this statement but there is a further note in the booklet which reads: "If the tamper circuit is closed and the unit is powered by the battery only, the right LED will flash quickly to signal that the unit cannot self-activate until power has been supplied from the control panel"

So, at this point if I

6) connect the battery up in the Texecom and put the cover on 7) connect the battery to the panel (At this point I guess the panel will be in Installer mode - although I thought this last time when the Texecom started and could not be stopped - although I'm now fairly sure that this was self-activated)

8) replace panel cover

9) re-apply mains to the panel 10) Test panel etc 11) Exit panel installer mode

Does this sound likely to work without disturbing everyone. (I live in a rural area but was very surprised how quickly 2 parties responded on the last false I created. It would be embarrassing to do it again!)

Again thanks for help so far

Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
Ian

That's fine then, just make sure this second option is eiter disabled, or a tampler loop fitted in the panel.

This correct.

They tend to sound when you connect the battery, very briefly (2-3 seconds) so be prepared for that with ear defenders!

I wouldn't, as the panel will be open, and then not in installers mode anymore, because it has been totally powered down, so it may go off. I would close the panel, and then power it from the mains, then put it into installers mode, THEN open it again to install the battery.

This bit I don't understand, if the panel was in full alarm mode, then entering your PIN should retify this, and stop all the sounders, if the external sounder continues to sound, it sounds like there may be a tamper problem somwhere..

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

OK, thanks for warning

OK, I can understand this b...b....b...but, the Scantronic booklet states "Do not work inside the control unit case when mains power is present" Also, for the INITIAL start up procedure, the battery is connected first, then the cover fitted, then mains power. Unfortunately, the Scantronic instructions are silent on how to power up the box on subsequent occasions. However, in the past, I have replaced the battery by:

1) entering Installer mode 2) disconnect mains power 3) Open case 4) replace battery 5) fit case 6) re-apply mains The sounders start but an entry of the user code at the keypad silences them. This proves the existence of a working NVM chip.

Ermmm. I wish I KNEW what had caused the alarm when powering up the last time. I KNOW the Texecom cover was off and its internal battery was still connected. The Texecom had been put in 'hold off' mode. All power - battery and mains - had been removed from the Scantronic. I reconnected the battery and Texecom started. Panic set in! Entry of user code, installer code, default user code and default installer code had no effect. On reflection, I think the internal sounder was going but in the panic I cannot be sure. If it was then I suppose the alarm was initiated by the panel. If it wasn't, then it was Texecom self activating. I just don't know. Now, it seems that your suggested procedure would circumvent this by ensuring there is no tamper alarm is possible since the panel box would be closed when power first applied. This bit I like. However, I'm not too keen at going back into the panel to replace the battery whilst mains is still applied. Is it normal/safe practice for panel batteries to be replaced with mains power still on? Perhaps an email to Scantronic?

On balance, embarrassment is not as serious as electrocution!

Thanks again Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
Ian

Okay, yes, this will work, but will sound a (probably) full alarm, but that can be stopped with the user code.

Thinking about it, I think the problem was, when you powered the panel up, the external sounder was open, so in tamper.

Entering the user code should have shut the panel and any internal sounders up, but it may not have done the same on the external sounder, as it was in tamper - maybe it doesn't like being powered up from the panel in tamper!

If you need to connect the battery up in the panel first, I suggest you make sure the external sounder's cover is on first, this may solve the problem of it going off for 15 minutes!

You can always stop it sounding outside by powering down the panel, and disconnecting the battery in the sounder, if it doesn't shut up!

True, but the mains section of the panel is limited to the connection between the mains cable coming in, and the transformer, so as long as you don't fiddle with this, you should be OK!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

Toby, Aye, thought as much. I think I'll go carefully along this route. Thanks again for the advice Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
Ian