Intruder Alarm Recommendations?

Hi all,

Really need to get around to installing a new burglar alarm. Don't want to get involved with service contracts and installers, so what's the best DIY options out there at present?

ta.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I've installed a few Yale wireless and have one at home. Basic but effective.

Reply to
David Lang

THanks. Do you know if they're expandable? I mean say you decide to build an extension at some time, can you add additional door/window entry sensors later on (that the original control box will recognise) without too much aggro?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Just buy one with more zones than you currently need or accept that some sensors may have to be "grouped". Long time since I've fitted one but it seemed very straightforward at the time.

Or... Just buy a box to stick on the wall outside and forget the rest of the system. Get far fewer false alarms this way. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Wireless alarms are often not expandable at a later time, because compatible parts are no longer available after that product range is replaced.

OTOH, wired alarms have been expandable for decades, including new sensors not even invented when the alarm panel was installed.

This is one of the things to consider when choosing between the two types - how open is the sensor to panel interface, or are you tied to just the manufacture's sensors?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The more upmarket ones certainly do, you can buy extra PIRs and door contacts. I have the basic one >£100 and you can't with that.

Reply to
David Lang

I reckon burglar alarms going off are ignored by most people and that burglars know this and so aren't too worried by them.

So I've got an alarm with internal sounders "sound bombs" that make such a horrific sound INSIDE the house that nobody could stand being in there for more than a few seconds.

Reply to
Murmansk

That's going to be fun when it goes off at 3am because of a spider making a web over a sensor.

Reply to
Adrian

"sound bombs" are tame compared to "master blasters".

127dB vs 109dB
Reply to
ARW

Yes, but plenty of them aren't too. I always check in person when my neighbour's alarms go off.

I know at least one was, found one of the outdoor chairs from around the pool up against the back fence where the burglar had obviously used it to get away that way when the alarm went off. Didn't manage to get into the house or take anything of value outside the house.

Sure, that's certainly worth having, but the neighbours f*ck up often enough putting the PIN in when they show up that that would be a real pain in the arse for them while they get it right. Tho I suppose you might be able to get an alarm system which only puts the sound bombs on after enough failures to get the PIN right.

You can certainly do it that way if it's a DIY alarm system.

Reply to
jack

I recently replaced my ancient Omnicron after the remote keypad failed. Got an Optima from TLC, who'd supplied the Omnicron.

Since I already had all the cabling installed a simple enough job to change - I've no wish to go wireless.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had a cabled alarm system for about 25 years now. A mixture of PIRs, door and window contacts, and pressure pads.

Never had a false alarm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Master blasters are tame compared to my hearing aids:

144dB in each ear vs 127dB from a master blaster at a distance

And the decibel scale is logarithmic, not linear

Reply to
I love spam

I fitted my parents wired alarm whilst I was still as school so that makes it 30 years old.

The panel was later changed from a key operated model to an integrated key pad panel and then later to a remote key pad panel (the last change was so we could use the keypad module panel in the detached garage).

I have also swapped all the PIRs over the years to pet sensor ones.

As for the false alarms. We had some and it took a few years to work it out when I first fitted the system. It was the kitchen PIR and for two consecutive days a year at around the same time early in the morning the alarm went off.

It was the patterned glass on the back door concentrating the sunlight on those days onto the PIR like a magnifying glasss (a bit like a Wadsworth's own solstice).

As for wired vs wireless there is no contest.

Reply to
ARW

No wonder your hearing's poor!

:-)