Internet Explorer drop-down sites list

When I open the drop-down list of sites visited these days, I get a list with additional sections under dividers called 'History------------' and 'Favorites-------------'. Where these aditional sections came from I know not. They used not to be there. I want a simple list of the sites I've visited - going back as far as possible. Nothing I can find in the so-called 'Tools' enables me to get back to that happy state. Anyone here know how it might be done ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

install firefox?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think it depends on what version of IE you are now using. The most usual way is to downdate back to the old version you started with, as Microsoft keep adding enhancements and not really caring you cannot do what you used to. Often though the list of sites tends to be an arrangement of folders seen as a menu, so one might be able to fiddle around in your documents folders to reorder the content.#

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes but Firefox are if anything worse. They bring out new versions on a monthly basis. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Jim Hawkins writes

In IE9 anyway:

Internet Options > Content > Auto complete settings

And deselect History and Favourites.

I don't use IE much, but personally I like this. I rarely look through the list though.

Start typing in part of web address and pages from my favourites etc. pop up as well. Much the quickest way of finding a page/site I want

Reply to
chris French

It's funny (or perhaps it isn't) how opinions differ on that sort of thing. Personally I really dislike autocomplete and disable it wherever I can. If someone would tell me how to switch it off on Google UK (because the site's own option to do so doesn't work for me) I'd be hugely grateful.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Inn my opiates quiet a lott of tie-pin on useful shews sines of un-czeched ought to come pleat. I donate no how two swish it off..

...so I just barge through all the highlighted offerings and ignore it completely.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

As do I at the moment. But I really resent it that my computer is trying to out-think me. I'm perfectly capable of typing exactly what I mean and what I want, thank you, PC.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

That's it ! Internet Options > Content > Auto complete settings and deselect History and Favourites) works in my IE (IE8) as well. Many thanks Chris

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Anyone know if there's a way of tweaking the frequency of the update reminder in firefox? In principle I don't mind being reminded occasionally that there's a new version available, but it feels as though mine bugs me once a day (and Thunderbird too) - something like once a fortnight might be less irritating. I don't like upgrading something as soon as a new release comes out, but prefer to see how it behaves for other people in the wild first :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson