Internal glass door building regs?

That's not what you said though.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

How is the 'issue is people falling through and being literally cut to ribbons' not what I said, when I did say it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The data on this commercial site is AFAICR correct and worth a look:

Bob Mannix

I think so too.

So whilst not strictly necessary in all cases, unless there is a resoan not to, fit toughened safety glass everywhere you can.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So how does annealed glass (which I have to say I've never heard of) break? (I do have personal experience of both toughened and ordinary glass...)

David

Reply to
Lobster

You also said "In fact all glass used these days in a house has to be unless the pane size is very small as in e.g. leaded lights or small framed panels.."

You totally omitted any mention of height from the ground being a criteria for the rewuirement of safety fglass.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Lobster coughed up some electrons that declared:

The glaziers all used the word "annealed" to me. When I asked the same question you just did, they said "bog standard float glass: ie what you're going to get unless you ask for something better".

The stuff that everyone's got and breaks into nasty sharp pointy bits.

Cheers

Tim

PS

Ths explains it better

Tim S

There are. They're called the Building Regulations, and they say that if you carry out building work or make a material change of use of a building, the work you do must meet the guidance, and (in the case of alterations) the work you do mustn't make any other part of the building any less compliant than before.

If you carry out any work that affects the building's structure or fire safety, and as part of that, you replace or alter the internal door, then, yes, you have to fit safety glass to that door to comply with Building Regulations.

If you're just replacing the door or the glass, it must comply with the General Product Safety Regulations 1994. This is controlled by Trading Standards at your local or County Council. I assume it's controlled reactively, i.e., following a complaint or serious HSE-reportable accident.

If it's an existing pane, I don't know if there are any regulations covering its continued use. I can't imagine there are within a private dwelling, unless some legal or informal registration schemes for HMOs or student accommodation, etc., would cover it.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula