Internal Doors

I'm thinking of replacing my internal pine doors. Had a look at Screwfix where they have various widths but not the 705mm that mine are. They don't quote the height but is this standard as mine are

1905mm. Is 705mm a normal width that should be available or would I need to have them made to measure. I assume that 5 that I require will be rather expensive!

Dave

Reply to
David

Are you sure that's the right measurement, and that the opening hasn't been made smaller?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Just checked all 5 doors. All are 705mm wide and the height varies between 1904 and 1906mm. It's an 1890's house and the frames don't look as though they've been altered.

Dave

Reply to
David

Wickes do a 27" door, which is 686mm. Standard height is 1980mm which is

78" in old money.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

why?

Reply to
meow2222

Because they are not in very good condition! Some of the panels have shrunk leaving a slit you can see through. Filling the gaps has not been successful. Previous owners have moved the position of the handles and have made a bad job of filling the holes. Not a problem if the doors were going to be painted, but I want a wood finish.

Dave

Reply to
David

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (David) contains these words:

If the panels are proper "loose" fielded panels, why not just replace the panels and keep the original frame?

Don't know how common it is, but I've seen doors with fielded panels crack like that when they've been painted so thickly that the panels, which are supposed to be loose to allow for shrinkage, are locked into the carcass and split.

Reply to
Guy King

The panels are fixed so cannot be removed, anyway they are the best part of the doors compared with the frame. The affected panels have all shrunk at the vertical edge nearest the centre of the door so apparently this edge is loose to allow for shrinkage. They've either greatly shrunk over the years or they were not made big enough in the first place.

Dave

Reply to
David

That could refer to the doors! Joking apart, have the doors been cut down? Are they four panel? If so, are the widths of the mid and bottom rail roughly equal, and are the stiles about 1/2 the width of the mid rail, and the same as the top rail? If not, what have you got? It would be interesting to know (and/or to see a photo.) to advise best.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

See link below for picture of one door with measurements which vary between the 5 doors. The top and bottom rails vary the most so have probably been cut to fit. The frames don't appear to have been altered so would have expected all the doors to have been the same size when the house was built.

've noticed that since the CH has been turned off, the gaps have got smaller. Assume this was drying out the pannels so making them shrink. Also noticed some floorboards have started squeking as they've expanded for the same reason?

Dave

Reply to
David

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

True, but not everyone can manage doorknobs.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King typed

Too true, but *why* should they be knobs anyway?

Knobs are far more difficult if there's anyone with even a mild disability. (Actually they are more difficult for the able-bodied too!)

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

'Cos they'd be in keeping with the original wossnames of the house.

Reply to
Guy King

Glad you like the picture. But it's a bugger trying to get those letters off the door that someone painted on!

Both downstairs doors have those high handles (there when I moved in) that I'd like to replace with side mounted locks that they originally had, from the holes that have been filled in. Luckily the 3 doors upstairs still have them.

Tha door could do with a bit more cleaning but it looks worse in the picture than it actually is. Will have a look around and see what doors are available knowing that I will have to cut them to size.

Dave

Reply to
David

Guy King typed

Spose so, but older aren't always betterer.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

What about doing just that, and using a rim lock (you can get garish new ones such as:

more original ones - in conjunction with a brass of china finger plate to hide the damage from the high-up handles?

Reply to
Chris Bacon